Bunk Heater in -40

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Manisoba, Jan 4, 2021.

1. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    ahhh yes, I had a couple LT's also. Both had the Factory EPU setup, with the dual bunk/coolant heaters. Thats the only thing I miss about those trucks, park, arm the auto start, set the heat on the dash controls (controlled the front webasto) set the heat on the rear controls (for the bunk webasto) and enjoy a nice cozy sleep for as long as you wanted. If the engine got to cold for whatever reason, or the batteries ran down (never happened with all those cells for the AC) the truck would just fire up, do its thing and shut down. When I got my Volvo 760, with just a stand alone bunk Webasto (not tied into anything) it felt like going back 15 years in technology.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yea those prostars had the big Webasto evo 40, and the Espar engine heaters were really good also. Like I posted above, kinda the exception to the rule those trucks.

not4hire Thanks this.
  4. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    After further deep thought, if you got the big Espar's, for both the bunk (can be retrofitted to work with the factory volvo controls) and the stand alone engine heater. With some power service white bottle, I would prob give -40'c a try, as long as I had good batteries (Caterpillar).

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Honestly when you hit -30 or colder you'd be crazy to not run the engine IMO. Its the cost of working in the cold.

6. liner

liner Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2008
    ontario
    For the price of a few gallons of fuel I just run the truck when it gets that cold.The cost of the fuel is a lot less then a service call to get you going again.

7. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    Every winter I see guys trying to get truck fired in the morning on those minus 30 plus nights. Often they need to be towed into a warm shop for a few hours which runs up a bill if you’re not in your yard.

alds, BigHossVolvo and Phantom Trucker Thank this.
  8. skipgears

skipgears Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2020
    BC
    I'm surprised there aren't more reports of truckers freezing to death inside those things, with them new epic emissions engines

Opendeckin and Canadianhauler21 Thank this.
  9. Manisoba

Manisoba Bobtail Member

Aug 20, 2020
    I was kind of thinking the same thing. Have a new evo coolant heater and installed a start module. Next day after installing it, it hit -32. That engine cranked over like you had it connected to 24 volts. Had my doubts that a little box you can lift with one finger could replace what 4 batteries did, never mind exceeding them. Not talking long periods of time being off either 6-8 hours. Truck has arctic fox tank heaters as well. Tell you the honest truth it’s not so much the truck starting, but staying warm in the cab and not torturing the emissions system.

not4hire Thanks this.
  10. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Yea I get it, just anything after -28'c I think its just time to idle lol.

11. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    But where's the fun in that? :cool:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.