Burn Out

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by Very Metal, Apr 2, 2023.

1. Very Metal

Very Metal Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Dirty South,Tn
    At Christmas I decided to get out of trucking, took a month off to decompress, and make sure I was doing the right thing. 7 years hardcore OTR, 49 states and 8 provinces in Canada, accident free, open deck, OD load, 2 year chemical tanker, 1 year Car Hauler. Got my 1 Million miles and mentally burnt.
    Before trucking, in was a 15 year Mercedes-Benz dealer tech, kept all my rools and decided to start wrenching again at my friends small Indipendant shop. 3 months later i feel like a human being again. I had not realized what was happening to my mental state progressively over the past few years, depression , etc...
    Anyone else out there in the same boat? Hung up the CDL for a bit or forever?
    Its goIng to be hard for me to go back, maybe if i ran Alaska a lot or West CANADA.
    Enjoying the 5 day workweek with weekends off, smoking cannabis recreationally and happy to get away from the FMCSA pressure. Thoughts?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I've known a few guys who try something else for awhile, about 50/50 on going back to driving.

Coffey, Magoo1968 and Very Metal Thank this.
  4. Deadwood

Deadwood Heavy Load Member

Dec 24, 2016
    I have no idea why you’d want to do OTR. You get paid less for a harder job with worse living conditions.

Get a local job driving hazmat someplace in the south. That way you don’t have to deal with freezing weather, you sleep in your own bed at night and, by requiring a security clearance, the hazmat keeps out the hordes of illegal Mexicans out of the driver pool depressing wages.

5. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    I’d suggest looking for the appropriate market to open a euro-centric, independent repair shop. My buddy (very OCD) is an independent shop owner/sole-operator and I wish you could see the living he’s made for himself.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
    bryan21384 and Very Metal Thank this.
  6. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    The suggestions made in posts 3 & 4 above are actually both REALLY GOOD ones.

It's really just a question of which you'd rather do next....

-- Lual

Very Metal Thanks this.
  7. Very Metal

Very Metal Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Dirty South,Tn
    Im back working at my friends Mercedes Indy shop. After a couple of months knocking off a lot of rust from 7 years away from wrenching, im back in the groove, and yes the money is very good.
    My initial reason for getting my CDL was for the ultimate adventure, travel far and wide, to do all 49 and Canada, which I accomplished, but did not predict the mental breakdown it has on me. I did work a regional tanker hazmat job for a year but found it very boring.
    The grind of OTR just really hit me the past year, aware of the signs of burnout, just didnt know how to deal, like a lot of us do.

ducnut and lual Thank this.
  8. kidz bop

kidz bop Medium Load Member

Oct 5, 2017
    family medical leave can also help remedy burn out taking a full 12 weeks off to heal etc. so it may prevent you need to quit. that's kind of it's purpose is to protect or help boost health of workers and their families.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2023
    lual Thanks this.
  9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I'm not understanding the original post.

Are you wanting someone to talk you back into trucking, or have you already made up your mind?

You're happy where you are, make good money, and can smoke pot.

You said you weren't happy when you left trucking.

10. OLDSKOOLERnWV

OLDSKOOLERnWV Captain Redbeard

Nov 29, 2011
    West Virginia

Thinking it’s option 3….,

singlescrewshaker and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  11. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    Glad you got your mind right. When the wanderlust strikes again, offer your buddy your services of delivering cars for his customers.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.