Business Plan/ Mentor Needed

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by haider99, Jan 17, 2016.

1. haider99

haider99 Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    Do you still go to the east end?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I do some pa nj ny oh md va nc

I have enough regular stuff I am generally booked probably an average of 4 days ahead of time..

Right now I am booked until the frost comes... say what?! ;)

4. haider99

Mar 19, 2014
    So how do you deal if a load gets cancelled and you have nothing to take into U.S and you have something booked for backhaul?

I had this happen to me a few times amd now I am scared to book backhaul until my outbound is in my trailer.

5. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Find customers who don't drop out on you...
    I also am a bit of a slack ### when I do my eastern USA loads..
    Generally speaking, I like to take the rest of the day off that I make delivery and not pickup until the next day. Same for delivery. Occasionally I do a pickup the same day as a delivery, but it is not the norm for me. Just takes solid planning ahead. Only do that when you know your customers well enough you can gauge when you will be empty and when you will be over at the pickup.

6. haider99

Mar 19, 2014
    I guess it will take a little bit of time. I have been doing a decent amount of Canadian Tire loads.
    Next day deliveries mess up schedule with one truck and trailer operation. I will be finding another driver for my Highland truck until I build up some capital and buy another trailer and then move the truck over.

Dont really like going into PA anymore... Esp with winter approaching, I want to learn the Midwest lanes.

7. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    East gets more snow
    In the Midwest they get a lot of ice storms and the weather is more around zero... often resulting in freeze thaw freeze thaw all the time meaning plenty of ice

Wait til winter time comes... The lanes you are running now will be more balanced.. should be easier for you to score more regular work..

8. haider99

Mar 19, 2014
    And by the lanes you mean midwest?

9. haider99

Mar 19, 2014
    @gokiddogo
    Hey buddy,

I have to make a delivery in IL on Monday...i am not told if its rush or anything but I am having issues with my truck and its getting worse. Its currently in the shop right now and most likely I wont make it to delivery on Monday but Tuesday.

Has this ever happened to you? Should I just tell the broker of this issue or try to find a replacement truck? Broker is XPO.

Thanks

10. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Did you have the issue before you picked up the load?
    Are you in a Canadian repair shop? Monday is our thanksgiving holiday so they will likely be closed then too. Depends how serious the issue is with your truck I guess.

11. haider99

Mar 19, 2014
    Well, out of 4 trucks we have, we have 1 running lol by me and my dad. Two drivers bought their own trucks in the same company. I returned the plates for the local and am now selling it.

The TOR- Montreal container work is still on and I am looking for a driver. It seems impossible to find a good driver with the rate of pay is $0.44 and the equipment is old.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.