Business Plan/ Mentor Needed

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by haider99, Jan 17, 2016.

1. haider99

haider99 Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2014

Hey,

Hope all is well on your end.

I crossed into U.S with food a few times and did exacly what you told me too.

Now, I have a Canada bound shipment which is food and might have meat in it. Would you please tell me what is the procedure with this? I will be crossing Livingston/Queenston border.

Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Define "might have meat in it"
    We're you issued meat import paperwork? You would know it's about 5 extra pages you have to send to whichever Canada customs broker it is
    What is the commodity if you don't mind sharing

Edit
    Aren't you a dry van guy?

4. haider99

Mar 19, 2014
    It's canned food. The broker said it might have meat in it and said it rarely gets inspected at the border.

5. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    No meat inspection certificates means you don't need to reinspect. A good broker or customer would have told you where the reinspect facility is in Canada. They are not at Canada customs. There is one in Windsor and there are a few around Toronto. The link below is what you use to check ONCE YOU HAVE ALREADY GOT YOUR STAMPED PARS ONLY NOT BEFORE!!!!!!
    You can put either meat inspection certificates number in or transaction number. A meat inspection certificates has a serial number in the form of US-CA-000844
    I don't remember exactly how many numbers but that is the idea. If it is reinspect you must take it to where the website below says for reinspection prior to delivery. The reinspect places are pre-determined which is why whoever you got the load from should have been able to tell you in the first place where reinspect will be done in the event Cfia decides they want to look at this shipment.
    Automated Shipment Inspection Status Search Tool (ASISST)

haider99 Thanks this.
  6. haider99

Mar 19, 2014
    The broker told me that it will need to go to Brampton facility if its inspected.

So at the border, I dont have to do anything special? Any docs that I have to make sure I have before I leave the shipper and any copies that I should make?

7. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I can't say for sure because I have never done canned food that may contain meat. Only ever done fresh and frozen meat. Shipper should know... customs broker will absolutely know the answer to this one.

8. haider99

Mar 19, 2014
    Issue number 3422 (lol) - Drivers for sitting trucks

I want to put one truck on the Toronto to Montreal corridor or up to Quebec city and have a driver run it. I have found some regular freight for it.

Running on this lane, the easiest schedule there is is:

Leave with a loaded trailer Sunday night/ Monday am for Monday morning delivery/ reload and back in to Toronto within the hours. Doing this the driver will be able to do 4 trips each week and will be paying $0.52/mile making him roughly $375 on a 700 mile trip.

However, I cant seem to find drivers still. Why would this not work and how can I make this schedule better? Any suggestions? I was also thinking about hiring a driver from Montreal area so that for him, there will be day time driving and he will sleep at home most nights. I had a driver from Montreal area who has his own truck now and perhaps he can run as an owner operator.

9. gokiddogo

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I am seeing advertisements for company drivers in Ontario claiming to offer 0.65 per mile. And they will give them a newer model truck to drive, probably give benefits on top of all that. Need to figure out a way to find a good driver.

Customers are paying rates (for now at least) to support this. How long will it last for? Anyone's guess. I am happy with my one truck operation. If I decide to expand, it will most likely be attracting other owner operators. I rather maintain the trailer (or no equipment at all) than another truck. And I don't have to pay him any extra b.s. just take the % and manage the money. Easy. (relatively) The freight I do is more o/o type stuff anyway. Mostly relatively short miles and more general b.s. but pays well. Company guy just wants miles and with the employees rights and other crap that comes with employing someone..... no thanks.

not4hire Thanks this.
  10. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    I have no idea what the rates are, but I trust what @gokiddogo is telling you. And if there is that much disparity then the only drivers you are going to get are the drivers you don't want.

OTOH, study the other carrier's rates and the complete package they are offering. Make sure that 0.65 is REALLY 0.65 and not a lot of "potential" fluff. But if there really is that much disparity? You're either going to have to increase your rates or take a different tack.

11. haider99

Mar 19, 2014
    I agree to O/O being the best option. The problem I am facing is that I require minimum of 3 years of driving experience. For someone with that much experience, they would not want a more simpler schedule where they would be home daily (such as local). With the minimum wage being $14/hr local rates are up to $22/hr, local work would pay more than what I would pay weekly if my driver does 3 trips to Montreal. Therefore, the only option for me is if the driver leaves early morning and comes home at night from Montreal.

On the other hand, if I were higher O/O or pay percentage to a driver, I don't have that much experience to know and negotiate the rates because I sometimes think, I am charging less.

I.E: Loaded trailer hooked in Toronto for Montreal live off-load = $800
    Toronto to Kankakee = $1050 (Live both sides)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.