Buttonhook right-hand turns

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by expedite_it, Sep 27, 2022.

1. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    Does your trainer still ride with you?

IH Truck Guy, LtlAnonymous and rockeee Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    There's no black and white answer to this. You make the decision based on the intersection, traffic conditions, experience, comfort level, etc. The rules in the CDL manual don't work at every intersection. Not every driver is going to make the same decision in the same situation. I personally wouldn't intentionally force a car to move that's already stopped at the intersection. However, one exception is if they've pulled past the stop line and I need the space--then I don't have a problem making them move.

4. expedite_it

expedite_it Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2012
    No. I upgraded back in 2012.

I am a solo driver.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2022
  5. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    First, you say that there is no black or white answer to this, implying there is gray area.

If they've pulled past the stop line, the car did wrong. That's different.

As long as the car did not do wrong in any way, I think this is fairly black and white.

6. AsphaltFarmer

AsphaltFarmer Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2022
    New Mexico
    Steal your trainers urn and get it mounted as a hood ornament. Or not.

7. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Except my ‘99 straight truck I’ve driven nothing with power steering my entire life. I can’t go past the opening of the intersection and then turn hard right to hook back into the lane. It won’t work with the older steer boxes that take 4 to 6 turns for one direction or steer axles that don’t fold the tires over on their sides to cut a tight turning radius. You have to start the turn WAY BEFORE the intersection starts and you think you should to make it through. Fast, sharp over correcting Jug handles or button hooks don’t work.

8. Terlingua

Oct 24, 2021
    No, still gray. There are posters in this thread that have said they would still make the car move. I wouldn't say that's necessarily wrong, just that I would avoid it, if possible. There could still be situations where that's only way to make the turn.

9. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    I disagree. I still say Long FLD contradicted Amodelcat.

Long FLD didn't say that if there is no oncoming traffic, he would jug handle the turn and make the car move if it was impossible to make the turn otherwise. He just said if there was no oncoming traffic, he would jug handle the turn and make the car move.

10. expedite_it

Sep 8, 2012
    You need to upgrade to a truck with power steering then lol---it's the 21st century!

11. Terlingua

Oct 24, 2021
    That makes my point. Every driver will do it differently. You're trying to develop a rule that works every time in every situation, and there's just not one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.