Buying My First Trailer!!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by The Highway Hustler, Dec 16, 2020.

1. The Highway Hustler

The Highway Hustler Bobtail Member

Jun 25, 2019
    Yo O/O long story short been a driver for 10 years now but recently obtained my operating authority 2 months in so it’s been good. I’m doing PO in the market for a trailer should I buy one cash?? Should I finace?? What is a preferred year range?? Make model?? My homie told me no translucent roof get aluminum?? I’m currently on a load out trailer that has a translucent roof haven’t had a issue with getting loaded.. Was on truck paper looking talked to a guy about a trailer he mentioned something about aluminum cross members please let me know pass on ya best advice I been running hard 2 months strong I have the capital I need this trailer drop ya advice and comments.. Yours truly TheHighwayHustler

Coffey and 77fib77 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 401-Alex

401-Alex Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2013
    It is the wrong time to buy a trailer now. The good used ones are already bought the rest a leftover junk or overpriced for the age. New and you pay the FET. And overpriced as it is a sellers market now.... I have a 2019 brand new tires clean food grade trailer. I'll do 30k on it

86scotty Thanks this.
  4. ready2truck

ready2truck Medium Load Member

Oct 27, 2020
    hahaha

401-Alex Thanks this.
  5. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Prices on equipment are high at the moment , you might consider renting or leasing one .

401-Alex Thanks this.
  6. Sumday33

Sumday33 Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2020
    I just bought a trailer today. was gonna go reefer, but dont want the debt and too much risk as in waiting on unloads and loading, and temp issue charge backs..... so i decided on dry van. i learned, a plate trailer is better built, all trailer accesories are good since they are designed for fuel savings, and a vented trailer is good. Plate trailer and vented opens up more loads. Aluminum rims and Roof are good. Aluminum cross members except surrounding kingpin, those need to be steel, and disc brakes are good. a 2016 or newer usually offer disc brakes. i decided on a 2012 great dane and it cost me $17,900 total. probably over paid, but these trailers are selling faster than they can hit the lots. This is just a rookies experience, im still open to advice also.

77fib77 Thanks this.
  7. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    It was pretty hard for me to rent/lease when I had a new authority and that was with cash and good credit. It took me a long time to finally find ONE place that would lease to me. I kept it 6 months and decided I was better off paying the note on one than their crappy terms so I bought one. Paid it off quickly.

Good luck OP, it is true that the good ones go very quickly.

I'd make sure it has E track, metal roof and no wooden walls. After that you've got to make sure it isn't junk mechanically. I wouldn't buy anything older than 2015 unless you have direct customers that don't care.

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  8. 401-Alex

401-Alex Light Load Member

Nov 25, 2013
    I said price was high. 3500 in on virgin firestone tires. An't free

9. spearwarrior

spearwarrior Bobtail Member

Mar 12, 2019
    I purchased my first reefer after 2 months of running with my new authority for $3900. 2005 trailer with 2015 reefer unit. Took straight to the shop and invested $4000 to make it load ready lots of suspension work and fix oil leak on reefer unit. I grossed $12,00 first week out. I've been looking for good deal on 2nd trailer to go with 2 tractor. Purchased 1 multi-zoned 2015 reefer trailer from copart with no tandems, almost $9000. Purchased rolled 2020 dry van trailer for tandems $3000. Repairs & shipping to bring it all together under $5000 will make it worth in my opinion. I would make sure next time that both trailers are no more than 1 state away. I rather take the time to get what I want than pay for instant gratification.

10. Sumday33

Sumday33 Bobtail Member

Aug 28, 2020
    good deals and hard work pay off.... but at 12lk a week, you could pay for a ready to roll trailer and have it half paid for with the time and effort you got into piecing 1 trailer from 2.... but everyone approaches things differently. good job and good luck to you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.