buying trailer without title

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Chicago123456, Jan 14, 2022.

1. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Over the years almost a dozen times i’ve either purchased from individuals or estates vehicles with lost titles or just found them in a land clearing deal. You’d be surprised how common this is. Life happens and People just lose paperwork over time. Texas is pretty easy. You file for lost title and set up an appointment for a Texas Rangers vehicle theft detective to inspect the unit. If you cannot move it to their location they will come to yours. This takes a little time sometimes but easy. They check to make sure numbers look legit and run them thru the data base. If they come up clean and lien free you get a new title in your name. Previous owner/ owners doesn’t matter anymore. The title will look like you are the first owner.

Badmon and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    I had a free car one time during detectives inspection come up with a lien from a credit union still on it. So we contacted them and they inspected it and ultimately released the lien because it did not run and they could not resell it. They released the title to us for $200 to cover basic gift tax and bank process fee. Lol!

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. wichris

wichris Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2011
    So what part on a trailer can't be replaced? I've had trailer wrecked in the front, rear, both sides and the only thing that had to be replaced was the vin plate. And that had to be done through the dealer/manufacturer.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  5. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    Register it in Maine, no title needed

little cat 500 Thanks this.
  6. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Back in the day when NJ motor vehicle agencies had a 'dealer' window that also handled pre-IRP tractor registrations, etc. including the once per year trailer registrations for the whole state every March.

We had an abandoned van trailer in the back of the yard that the boss filed with stuff he was giving away.

Explaining this to the grand-motherly lady who did the dealer work and she issued a homemade title, gave me the serial no to stamp on it and a plate that was used once.

We left it in the parking lot of the business who got the 'stuff' inside and brought the plate back.

7. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    Lots of reasons for this.

But I agree. No title, no money.

If a seller is legit, they will go through proper channels to obtain a title.

wore out and Badmon Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.