buying used

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by francesco, Apr 1, 2007.

1. pro1driver

pro1driver Heavy Load Member

Mar 30, 2006
    North East, USA
    cool...........let's see there's you.........and then there's...........and then also there is.........

uh.............shoot...........only you..........!!!!!!!!

yipee.............i got a friend now everybody.......>!!!!!!!!:biggrin_2559:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. coastie

coastie Road Train Member

francesco,

I have to agree with Pro1 and broncrider

You need to get a feel for the trade before you go out on your own. Can it be done right off on your own? Yes, but the risk are much much Higher.

If your going to get your own authority, you will need more than the 10,000.00. Yes you can find a truck that cheap you can buy, but you'll also need to find a Trailer, type pending on the type of loads you want to pull. Pay for your authority, Insurance (Probley run you 10,000 for a new driver as your self). Plus you will need money to run on till you start getting paid.

Plus what if you follow through, and find out Trucking is not for you? You would not be the first to think they want to drive, and find out it not for you.

Before buying a truck, do as I believe Pro1 suggested, go to work for someone first, drive their truck, and see how you like it. Learn the ropes of driving. It's more than just holding a steering wheel and pointing the truck north, south, east or west.

I have driven for 4 years from 1996 to 2000. Lost my last Job due to my health.

I am currently on Disability SSDI and VA Disability. I want to go back into it. I have 2 options. Lie and say I am well and lose more than I really have to in extra income, or go out on my own as a Independent. I will have to give up the SSDI, but I do not want to give up what I been fighting for since 1996 and had not completley gotten what I should have yet. But for me to survive, I will have to go back to work. With the 2 Disalibities Checks, I still live around the provity level.

A life staring at the walls is no fun...

These other drivers were trying to give you the best advise they could. Listen to them, and learn from their mistakes. Get a Job first and learn the ropes. Talk to Drivers while your out on the road. You will learn alot more driving for another company than you will from the class room at the school you are in.

One bit advise for you and all others, I heard many Drivers say this when I was driving. The Day you think you know it all, PARK THE TRUCK! Your heading for a Crash as you the main event.

4. Matthews

Matthews Medium Load Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Akron,OH
    Dont put the cart before the horse.

I myself am only 31 and I took a HUGE risk going out one my own as an O/O at age 27. I have always been one to save moneys, and many people SR's anyways will tell you. I am LUCKY. ... ..

I say myself I am blessed,

DRIVE first bro... You dont know that much about a truck yet.... Let alone working on them I would guess?

If I where you, I would drive the other mans trucks for at lease 3-5 years and then take a change like this. But first off, being a truck owner with 0 exp is to risky.

Sorry to help deflate your bubble .....

All the best,
    Matthew

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.