Bypass Filtration

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Kansas, May 3, 2011.

1. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    You didn't show pictures of actually pulling out the filter! But then, I did notice in the ones you show that there is some oil splatter on the ground. Maybe that was just a goof.

Just had to take a cheap shot at ya for giggles. I really have no dog in that hunt and feel nothing negative regarding GCF. After all, there is always going to be an occasional mess, no matter what brand of bypass we are talking about. Even I mess up once in a while with my FS2500. We are not in a perfect world. If one takes the time to do it right and doesn't rush, then most times any messes are minimized or eliminated.

But then, you have yours mounted in a good location for servicing. That makes a big difference. Looks good!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. redbears

redbears Bobtail Member

May 29, 2011
    kenosha wi
    I am using the fs 2500 on my isx 500 and have extended my oil change already out to 80,000,for what amounts to 1 gallon of oil replunishment.oil samples came back satisfatory

4. richhawn

richhawn Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2012
    covington,IN
    I have a spinner on the 2000 freightliner fld 120 with a cat 3406E I just bought and am curious where to get the filter at? It is the 1st Spinner I guess not the spinner II. any help is appreciated.

5. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Contact manufacturer?

SHC Thanks this.
  6. ToddyRich

ToddyRich Bobtail Member

Jun 4, 2008
    IOWA
    Forgive me for butting in here, but where did you guys buy your Spinner II?
    I googled it and only came up with Iowa-80 chrome shop and Pittsburgh Power that sold them, or at least posted a price.

7. oneshot

oneshot Medium Load Member

Feb 28, 2009
    mississippi
    I found mine on ebay. It had been a display model and I got it for $200 free shipping 2 yrs ago.

ToddyRich Thanks this.
  8. TOSKABG

TOSKABG Light Load Member

Mar 4, 2013
    How you like new coronado...

9. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    That is interesting. Wonder what their motivation is for not wanting bypass used on those engines. I do know they are recommending some pretty long OCI's.

10. eeb

eeb Heavy Load Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Manufactures generally don't want anything aftermarket on their products. They put those warnings in the manual to place doubt in their customers' minds, and give their dealers an arguing point to try to weasel out of warranty service. Yeah, argue long enough and maybe get a lawyer and they'll probably have to provide service, but some aren't willing to take that risk or invest that time and money to get their warranty honored.Anyhow, in addition to a bypass system, I like the Filtermag system for spin-on filters, available through Jegs.com or Summitracing.com, among others. I figure I might as well pull as many steel and iron particles out of the oil as possible before it gets to the filter media. Just my two cents.

11. Cowpie1

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Well, if it is just to play warranty games that they say to not use bypass, that is easy. The Magnussen Moss Warranty Act of 1975 puts that one to rest. Nice, neat little law that the burden of proof rests on the OEM in denying warranty for use of non OEM stuff on equipment. That include not using the exact oil they recommend. The OEM has to show that the additional part or change caused the problem. That is pretty hard to do in most cases. And if one had regular oil sample data to back that up, the OEM really doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of denying the warranty. Of course, they can try, but civil actions can get nasty and most OEM's would prefer to not go down that road. But, unfortunately, most owners do not do regular oil sampling and other documentation procedures to give them some leverage when dealing with these issues. It is because of the warranty act that I had no problem putting on a more efficient exhaust manifold and larger non-waste gated turbo on my factory remanned DDEC IV Detroit 60 before it even turned the first mile working. They cannot, by law, deny a warranty claim because I did this unless they can prove the modifications did harm. Good luck on that one!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.