C.H. Roberson....

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by q in sac, Aug 6, 2011.

1. q in sac

q in sac Light Load Member

Jul 12, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    The outfit that i'm currently for ships Pepsi products from Sacramento to San Fernando. But on the return, I will get beer, fruit, apple. And guess who is the broker? C.H. Roberson. They broker for Anheiser Busch, MillerCoors, NorCal Beverage, Cliffstar, Can any here chime in on any other industries that this broker have in control?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ronin

ronin Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Largest brokerage in the industry.

4. BigJohn54

BigJohn54 Gone, but NEVER forgotten

May 13, 2011
    SW Missouri
    I hauled some of their loads on trip leases more than 30 years ago.

5. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    The also get used by my work ALL the freaking time. They are just CHEAP!!!!!

Union Jack Thanks this.
  6. Mr. PlumCrazy

Mr. PlumCrazy Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Lexington NC
    If I was a broker and truck drivers came to me and said they would haul my loads free how would that make me cheap. If you accept cheap then you are a cheap hauler don't fault the broker fault the ones that are hauling it cheap. I have not hauled a CH load I am setup with them and have been offered 2 loads both was offered above $2 a mile but 1 going in a direction I did want to go and the other I had already booked a load but the agent was trying to tempt me to taking theirs but I told him that's not the way I do business(but if he would have went much higher I might have had to call the other broker with mechanical problems) A lot of people say TQL is cheap but I can say they are not I have hauled 8 loads for them ranging from $2.14 a mile to $4.31 a mile. If you accept cheap freight from a broker it is in their system and every one of their agents has access to it and can see that you will haul cheap so they wont offer you nothing but cheap rates. Most of them will base their rates on what you have hauled for them before, So even if it was just a load to get home you are marked for life this is the reason I have no problem deadheading home if the rates are not there. You have to set your rates and stick to them. I have no reason to except cheap rates to get anywhere. Most of the loads I have deadheaded home was to MD, PA or NJ but I went up for $4.31 or better.

7. rbht

rbht Heavy Load Member

Jan 23, 2010
    CT,NH
    All brokers are cheap if you let them be. A freind of mine hauls CH loads in a van and there some of the best paying brokered loads he hauls, all well over $2 a mile. Ch is everywhere from van, flat to refer and they have the loads. I have never pulled for them because there flat bed rates out of the new england area stink and for one reason to many come up here for good money and will go out for nothing.

Les2 Thanks this.
  8. SpankingGT

SpankingGT Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2010
    CHR is not cheap. They have and almost every other big boy co. out there have a tier system. Until you climb up that tier, you will not see good paying freight of your liking. CHR is among the best out there. 1.5% quick pay direct into your account in 24 hrs/fuel advance.

Gotta play the game to make the money.

1catfish Thanks this.
  9. georgeandson

georgeandson Heavy Load Member

Feb 18, 2011
    1 mile down the road.
    Play what game LMAO? TEIR system? Kinda like "take this load and I will take care of you next time" LOOLOLOL Your killing me!

My truck didn't move for a certain rate. When rates were junk I sold my truck and became a company driver. I would of burned it had I not needed money LOL

I refuse to "PLAY THE GAME"! FOOK THE GAME! I will not work for peanuts cause I'm not an elephant LOLOLOL

IF, and a very big IF, I ever get another truck it will be because I have work for it. I dont care were the work comes from as long as it pays. CH, land star, whatever. AS long as it pays.
    CH IS cheap compared to what others offer my boss. They cover anything and everything for WAY cheaper then knight and even swift. That I know for a fact. I have seen the excel sheets.

Union Jack Thanks this.
  10. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    It's not like that. The big brokers have every bit of business you've done with them at a glance and analyzed before you get 5 seconds past "hello, what's your MC number?" If you're new and unknown, they're not going to put you under their most valuable loads for their best customers. That's just common sense on their part. You can still get a good rate, but you have to build a good track record to get the best ones that you'll never see on the load boards.

Not always certain though. Getting signed up with CHR turned out to be a comedy of errors but we finally got it done about two weeks ago. We took our first load with them for $3/mi last week. They called me and the load wasn't on DAT or ITS, and frankly I hadn't looked on their board figuring it would be all cheap stuff. Go figure. Probably a last minute load or one that got dropped by one of their proven carriers and I was the best 2nd choice with an empty truck in the area. Either way, it's one in a row for us and a good one to set pricing against LOL.

PlumCrazy: I think TQL has lost a couple of major accounts recently. They have tightened up on rates across the board over the past couple of weeks all of a sudden, and a few regular lanes I could usually count on have disappeared. The good news is: it's still a free market and I've been shopping elsewhere.

BigJohn54 and BigBadBill Thank this.
  11. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    You don't necessarily want to put all of your eggs in one basket. I have a friend who only works with CH Robinson and does very well. I have limited my business primarily to a few companies. As long as they can keep me busy with good rates, I see no need to go elsewhere. Nobody can force you to take a cheap rate. Nor will anyone twist your arm to force you to take a good paying load.

1catfish and BigJohn54 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.