C12 cat. Engine coolant leaking into engine

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by Frank5229, May 29, 2012.

1. PTrucker22

PTrucker22 Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2016
    But after 3 weeks after I get an oil change, it burning very fast plus after about a month & a half it's very thin think something not cooling the oil properly

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PTrucker22

PTrucker22 Bobtail Member

Apr 13, 2016
    Plus after a while my low oil pressure like will start coming on

4. nockamichi

nockamichi Bobtail Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Get an oil analysis. You may have coolant in your oil

5. nmbeagle30

nmbeagle30 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Having to add coolant daily. Just had reservoir replaced because of a crack. Was good for a few days , now back to adding coolant again. Cannot tell if oil is milky, but there is a cottage cheese like buildup on the oil cap. Any thoughts?

6. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    If you're getting that on the oil cap, you're getting water in the oil. Better get it in and find out what's going on, or you'll be rebuilding it.

7. nmbeagle30

nmbeagle30 Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2015
    In the middle of a 3600 mile run in Alberta. So will I make it back, I'm a company driver so if they need to rebuild engine I don't particularly care. Just don't want to die on the side of the road in the middle of no where North Dakota.

8. serozhah

serozhah Light Load Member

Sep 8, 2013
    you probably will make it back. If you have mountains on the way, odds of exponentially faster coolant loss are higher. However, either way I would recommend you take the risk considering you are a company driver;)

nmbeagle30 Thanks this.
  9. Rocket14

Rocket14 Bobtail Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Ive run a couple c12s over the past 6 years or so and both have needed a new head. No coolant "in" oil but both had moisture accumulation on upper parts of engine, such as oil fill plug, dipstick, and misc. components under rocker boxes. Maybe you'll get lucky, but this is THE reason that c12's have a bad reputation. Sure easy on fuel tho....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.