C15 Acert backfire when cold

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by KDubFarmer, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Yep cold mode is in there. Acerts are more prone to it if not up to temp. But as he found out it wasn't cold mode issue.

SAR Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. W903B

W903B Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Sorry my bad I didn't read solution , what I read on cat bulletin sometimes all 6 cylinders are not producing power 3 out of 3 and if we try to pull it hard so many times iva get cracked , bolts break even more severe damage

SAR Thanks this.
  4. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Yeah, cool, the vva's can't expel the cold oil through the small exhaust ports fast enough causing to sound like it's backfiring. That's why cat says have to operating temp I think of 150 deg.

MACK E-6 and SAR Thank this.
  5. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    My acert will do the coughing and bucking also if it's not warmed up properly. I do let it get to at least 150 degrees before taking off and it helps. I also found out in cold mode it cuts my turbo boost in half until it gets satisfied.

6. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Usually the bucking is related to VVA issue or just cold oil. Had one I fought for awhile and ended up being coolant diverter valve. VVA internal parts do get wore out and I replace with reman when I do a platinum kit.

SAR Thanks this.
  7. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    That is interesting about the coolant diverter valve. As some of you know CAT routed the harness to that valve in a bad spot where it would get charred and melted. My harness did have a bad spot, but never threw a code.

Before I rerouted that harness I would get that engine to back fire a lot. Since I fixed that harness and moved it to the frame, it hardly does it anymore so maybe that was my problem.

8. W903B

W903B Light Load Member

Jun 5, 2016
    Cold Mode on Status Flags Caterpillar ET Software - Blog.Teknisi

Try this
    Some ECM files have deep hurried in to it we can't change cold mode but some we can change also what I found is some modified files doesn't have cold mode into it I lived trouble free for 2 years and now after I got ECM files copied to stock I got this problem back , I live in Manitoba and it gets freezing cold and it's pain every morning

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.