C15 coolant flow

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by dieselfuelonly, Jan 20, 2015.

1. dieselfuelonly

dieselfuelonly Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Looks like my heater core in the sleeper on my T600 has a leak and I just want to block it off. I have an APU with an Espar heater I use at night.

I followed the lines that run back to the heater core and they connect near the water pump (circle marked #2) and near the rear of the block (circle marked #1).

My initial guess was circle #1 is where I would shut off the flow at since there is a valve there. Unfortunately the valve is frozen open and I just plan to unhook the heater hose and put a plug in there. You can see the valve just below and to the left of circle #1 with the handle broken off, lol.

As far as I know this should block off flow to the sleeper heater core yet still flow to the cab heater core and allow the APU to circulate coolant through the block.

Can anyone confirm which circle has the heater hoses that have coolant pushed into them from the CAT's water pump and which heater hoses are the return? No harm in blocking off the flow to just the sleeper heater core, correct?

Thanks

[​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    You need to shut off both ends to stop it from leaking. No harm in blocking both ends of the bunk lines, the cab has separate lines and will still work, just make sure you get the right valves for the bunk.

Our drivers always get confused about this. We spray painted the cab valves white, the bunk valves black and the coolant filter valves red. When a driver calls and says his bunk heater is leaking, I can tell him to close the black valves.

EverLuc, Oxbow, Cetane+ and 2 others Thank this.
  4. dieselfuelonly

dieselfuelonly Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Thank you, and good call on blocking both ends of the lines. I was just going to block the inlet line, but it makes sense that it could still leak through the return line, especially since the APU water pump circulates coolant through connecting lines, it could just work it's way back up the return line and leak out.

5. GrapeApe

Jan 7, 2013
    If your APU circulates coolant through the heater core hoses, make sure that you don't block them off. The APU pump still needs a complete circuit to flow. I don't know how it's plumbed. If it's in series with the bunk heater core, then you'd need to bypass only the heater core by connecting the hoses together with a hose barb.

6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    From the looks of things his APU is plumbed in series with the heater core hoses. Look on the outside of the frame rail. In pic 1 you can even see 2 lines going into the 1 fitting both with shutoffs. They put shutoff valves past it to where he can close off the heater core without closing off flow to the APU. The hoses and locations are exactly like what's on mine - excepting the APU lines.

7. 4noReason

4noReason Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2012
    My cascadia has a apu. Leaking minor. 2 valves. So if i close the valves the apu coolant should shut off right

8. EverLuc

EverLuc Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2013
    On a c15 accert, can i shut off both bunk and cab heater cores, say for the summer? If so, do I just shut of the valves at rhe waterpump?

9. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    Yes.
    Why would you want to shut down the lines in summer?
    There will always be an occasion where you need some heat.
    The blend door in my heater box once failed in the open position and supplied continuous heat in summer. I've tried to control the heat with the shut off valves. It was a nightmare. Opened the hood maybe ten times a day.

EverLuc Thanks this.
  10. GrapeApe

Jan 7, 2013
    You can. Shutting off the valves by the water pump will stop flow through them, so the heater cores will not get hot. Newer trucks have much better HVAC systems, so it's really not needed. At least I never noticed much of a difference, not like older trucks anyway. It's a good idea to close and open all the valves once in a while, so you know they work and are east to shut off to stop a leak. Our 379 Pete's with Acerts have the rear valves in a very crappy location behind the turbo, not something you want hard to turn on a hot engine, so I close them and open them on oil changes to keep them working good.

SAR and EverLuc Thank this.
  11. Chaosn18whls

Chaosn18whls Bobtail Member

Sep 21, 2013
    05 Columbia. Coolant leaking from bottom of heater core? Below bunk. No shutoff valves. Can I bypass by tying the two lines together?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.