C15 engine fan won't shut off

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by rollin coal, Aug 31, 2011.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Couple of weeks ago while driving my KW with the a/c on my engine fan came on and wouldn't shut off. Sometimes it would with the a/c off and sometimes it won't. My a/c is in perfect working condition otherwise it'll freeze you out on any setting. So to make the fan go off I unhooked the high pressure a/c switch and put a paperclip in the harness to jumper it. So the fan only comes on/off manually now, have to leave it on with the a/c on if I'm parked etc. My radiator and condenser are clean, I wash them out with commercial detergent monthly. Like I said a/c is working fine. The high pressure switch is new. It sucks only having manual engine fan. Any ideas what could be the problem here?

BRGHTSD Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SheriffJohn

SheriffJohn Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Murrieta, CA
    this happened to me one time before with a cat, and the mech just replaced the fan switch to avoid any further issues...cuz it could be a 100 things. usually its a short in fan switch or the thermo sensor in the fan switch itself. good luck!

rollin coal Thanks this.
  4. KW Parts Guy

KW Parts Guy Light Load Member

Jul 16, 2011
    Fan overide switch send me your ser # and i'll shoot you the part number!

rollin coal Thanks this.
  5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It's brand new. I replaced it this morning. The one it replaced was about 3 months old.

6. grizzly

grizzly Medium Load Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Layton, Ut
    If you have an air leak at the fan hub, that can cause it to stay on.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  7. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    I had one that would eat those switches and after two of them found the harness to be the cause, replaced the harness and all ok.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  8. Duke

Duke Light Load Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Minnesota
    May want to check out the following areas...

1. air leak on the little line coming from the air drier going to the pressure switch. The line may have a "rub" hole in it... if there is, will only leak motor is running or for 3-5 seconds after key is shut off.

2. if you had a/c refrigerant added recently, may have too much oil and not enough r-134a in the system.

Duke

Lilman9092 and rollin coal Thank this.
  9. vadim2200

vadim2200 Light Load Member

Nov 21, 2010
    i had it happen on my cummins, i replaced solenoid (that controls air to the fan). but u have cat

rollin coal Thanks this.
  10. TURKER

TURKER Medium Load Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    On the fire wall on top there is a relay with air line attached to it that controls fan clutch it is bad .Disconnect the power cord it should stop,if not check to see if you have power to it either case it is not shoting the air. Replace it it will cure the problem

rollin coal Thanks this.
  11. blehr

blehr Bobtail Member

Jun 2, 2011
    estancia, nm
    Hey Rollin Coal

I found on my W900L the pressure switch harness was loose and the pins
    were worn and not making good contact. It is up the left side of the radiator. Check those pins and bend them over a little. Thats where I found my problem. I replaced the binary wire harness and I have not had any problems since.

rollin coal and Leppy Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.