C15 Fan Clutch Issue

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by RNS, Jul 25, 2010.

1. RNS

RNS Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Jacksonville, NC
    One of our trucks is an '05 Pete 387 with a C15. We first started having trouble with the a/c not cooling properly, after spending around $800 at TA to do nothing, the truck finally made its way home. After checking things over we found the a/c system is doing its thing, its full of freon, compressor is working properly, etc. but when sitting and idling the trucks fan clutch never engages, thus won't pull air across the condensor. When riding down the road it works fine cause of the forced air. I've tried using the override switch and the fan still doesnt engage. I have found the actuator on the fire wall and have found I'm not getting power to it. All of my fuses are good. If I take a 12 volt battery and supply power to it you can see the clutch work. Wondering if anyone has expierenced this and if so any advice would be great.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. country29

country29 Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Arkansas
    well, if you put power to it, and it locks in, then replace the solenoid, they are known to go bad, they dont work off power, they work off ground.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  4. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    You have a differant problem than most as the fan is itended to fail "on". If it does not have power at the solenoid then the fan should be on. So what your saying about putting 12 volts to it does not make sense to me. What do you mean you see the clutch work? The fan comes on or you hear it click if the engine is off? I would think it would want to over heat as soon as you see a hill in this temp. if the fan does not work at all.

5. RNS

RNS Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Jacksonville, NC
    With the engine off if we ground the solenoid you hear the air shoot to the fan clutch and you can see it move. This was a truck we keep running from NC to Fl so no hills to climb, but have never had an issue over heating.

6. DL550CAT

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    I would think from what your saying that the fan would be running all the time. Try this with the engine off is the fan locked or does it free spin if you reach in and turn it by hand. If it turns then I would say you need a clutch

7. RNS

RNS Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Jacksonville, NC
    it turns by hand easily

8. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    With the ignition switch off? If so, it shouldn't.

9. DL550CAT

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
  10. 112racing

112racing Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    pocono's, pa
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  11. rollinsmoke

rollinsmoke Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Gold Tops are great kits and super easy to do. Just need to be carefull when disassembling yours. What kind of clutch is it?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.