C15 low power

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Harper60, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Harper60

Harper60 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Hey everybody, Well I hit a deer in my Kenworth and it totaled my truck, so I decided to go buy a newer one so that I would not miss any work. Well I settled on a 2003 peterbilt with c15 475, supposedly turned up to 550 and 13 spd. Well I went to haul my 1st load with it and it seemed to be really low on power. I had an overhead done on it because it has a new head and I thought they may have messed up. They said the valves were way out of adjustment and I figured that was the low power issue. Well tonight I hauled another load and it still seems to be struggling. I had a new fuel pressure gauge installed as the old one was disconnected at the motor so I hooked the line up and it is showing about 100 psi at 1500 rpm. The guage flutters really bad though, it flutters between 5-10 psi with the motor rhythm. Boost is about 28 with the wastegate pinched off. Shop pressure tested everything and fixed some small leaks. Injector cut out test passed. Egt is 650 max pulling hills. New air filters as well as fuel. I'm stumped. I'm trying to not sink a bunch of money in this right now as I spent a lot of money getting a new PTO and blower for it. Any ideas? I've read numerous threads and I've done most of the stuff everyone recommended. Are these normal readings and maybe I'm just not use to this new truck. The only thing I can think of is there is a pinging noise from the passenger side i think top end, everyone I run with said "it's a cat, its gonna have some pings and ticks" but I'm not so sure. I appreciate any help given, thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    What engine type is it? The first three letters, the prefix, would be helpful to get a proper response.

Since it's a 2003, I assume it's not an ACERT. 28 PSI would be low for that.

4. Harper60

Harper60 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2017
  5. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    Did you check the basics, new filters.
    Was it running different at some point? What was done to it that caused the change?
    You had the overhead set which improved the performance. Correct?
    Which RPM range are you operating the engine? CATs usually want to run low and pull.

6. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    ok so i have been through this with the egt. your boost seems a little low. i own a c12 and not a c15 but had similar issues. my egts and boost was a little low like yours. I decided to pressure test everything after the turbo. I found muliple leaks and cracks in my intercooler. Major leaks!!!! This was causing my boost lag and low boost as well as (leive it or not) low egts. My egts were only about 6-700 on hard pulls just like you. I replaced my intercooler and instantly got my egts back to normal where they will steadily climb to about 1100 and usually max out there. got my boost back as well. im wondering if they pressure tested the whole system. its not hard to do. 20 bucks worth of fittings from home depot

Oxbow Thanks this.
  7. Harper60

Harper60 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2017
    The head was installed before I purchased it, I ran it for one night shift and thought to be low on power. I changed fuel filters and found a bunch of rubber crap in the water separator. Thought that would fix it, still low power. Took it to the shop, they did injector cutout test, pressure tested the air to air, found some small leaks so put new clamps on. The did an overhead and told me they were way out of adjustment, I was hoping that's what caused low power but it did not seem to help much, maybe marginal improvement. They installed the fuel pressure guage and it shows 70-75 at idle but like I said, it flutters 5-10 psi with motor rpm. Truck doesn't seem to be missing or hesitate any, no white smoke, gets a little puff of black down low but that's normal

8. Harper60

Harper60 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2017
    They said they tested for leaks and found some small ones. I usually do the work myself bit I run night shift so i just have them work on it during the day. Guess i probably ought to do the pressure tests myself

9. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    just disconnect at the inlet of the intercooler on turbo side. leave everything else attached on the other side of intercooler. All the air noise is coming from nothing else but the leaks. leaks coming from both elbows on both sides and several rows of fins.

10. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    i own a 2002 379 btw

11. Harper60

Harper60 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2017
    That's a lot of leaks lol, I'll try and buy some PVC fitting to do it myself tomorrow, I would like to say I trust their word when they say they did it but I'm not sure

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.