C15 low power

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Harper60, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Harper60

Harper60 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Northwest Oklahoma

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    You are just going through some bull right now. Happens to us all when we buy new used trucks. You will get it figured out. If it’s still acting up, you might have to take a trip to cat. Those guys know their stuff.

4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    You should see the difference once you get a load on it.
    Is this one geared the same?

5. Harper60

Harper60 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Actually my old truck was geared 3.36 and this one is geared 3.55

jamespmack Thanks this.
  6. Harper60

Harper60 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Well I'm pulling between 30-33 psi. 750 egts, I don't lose 10mph on these slight inclines anymore so I'd say all the things I did improved it. I'm going to flash to 550 or Im probably going to have a custom tune installed to get it where I want in pulling power. Thanks for all the help!

7. jaielv

jaielv Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2010
    joliet,il
    Did you check all your fuel lines sometime they go bad and the only way to test is buy doing a clean fuel test just install a house from the transfer pump to a bucket with clean fuel. Also check return line is not restricted . Or a cracked filter housing

8. DieselTech_Aus

DieselTech_Aus Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    3049385 check valve
    3394983 spring kit

those two genuine cat parts with a late model transfer pump with the allen key screw in the side not the bolt head looking plug will see fuel pressure at low idle of 90-100psi and high idle of 110-115psi.

to ensure the CAC system is in good order I fir a 6 inch adapter to the inlet of the turbo and fir a blacking plate behind the inlet at the head, I use air and a regulator to pressurize to 35/40psi. this will check the entire system has no leaks. boost leaks cost power even when minor. they also kill fuel economy.

flashing an early file that is pre noX will help with power too.

you should see 28-30psi boost on factory turbo at 550hp. wastegate blocked should see 32-33psi. I dotn advise this as the standard turbine housing with the gate is on its limit for flowing enough volume to support 550hp. blocking the gate means ALL gas must go around the wheel to exit which choked up the engine and adds significant exhaust backpressure. this adds to cylinder temp and pressure also.

I despise "hot" trim files on stock injectors because the tip is not big enough to do what you're asking without having such a large window of injection in reference to crankshaft revolution that isn't ideal for efficient engine operation. however for purpose of diagnostics they can work great. use them. if you see no increase in EGT, exhaust smoke and power then their is a greater issue.

Oxbow, swaan and spsauerland Thank this.
  9. Mario35

Mario35 Bobtail Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Did you ever find out what it was...sounds like same thing I'm going through except I have a cat C12 and I just put a brand new intercooler/CAC last Friday still nothing... Been driving my truck all week like this. Driving me crazy.

10. Harper60

Harper60 Bobtail Member

Jan 9, 2017
    Well no, I put my stock ecm back on, I had a new ecm with a hot tune on it and it helped it a lot but topend still fell on its face. I bought a new pump and it was bad out of the box but as soon as the new one comes in I'm swapping it in. All my stuff checks out okay. I have a new teltek fuel pressure guage and its showing 95psi at 1400 loaded. I'm just gonna drive it like this for a while and I'm planning on doing injectors next since I have an apparent flutter at 1200-14500rpm under heavy throttle. I figured the hot tune made the bad Injector show itself due to more fueling. The truck makes me money, just doesnt like the hills in the Texas panhandle. When I get my new Injectors I'll update, I saw Rochester diesel sells Injectors that are flow matched to a set, thinking about going that route over cat

11. Sohumtrucker

Sohumtrucker Bobtail Member

Mar 13, 2019
    Do they still make c15s someone was advertising a 2016 c 15

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.