C15 Severe Coolant Loss

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by A5¢, Jan 24, 2018.

1. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I recently bought a 2004 Peterbilt 387 Cat C15 After with 1.4 million miles. The engine has not been rebuilt and no major repairs. The truck sat a lot for two years, only running it to keep things moving.
    When I bought it, it had a dead miss on #1 and#2 cylinders. The old injectors had a rusty film on them and the shop said that the springs were collapsed, causing the miss. Two reman injectors and all was well.
    I bobtailed it a while back and has a loss of power, lots of white smoke out the stack and eventually it stopped running. After it sat a few minutes, it started up and I got home OK. I felt the top of the radiator and large tube going to the block. They were cold, not cool. Cold.
    The next day I checked the coolant level in the reservoir and it was empty. No leaks out of the engine or radiator/heater core. The oil was changed recently and is still clean. It would appear that all the coolant went out the exhaust.
    I know that this is going to be a pricey fix, but until I pop it open, I do not know what to expect. Cracked head or head gasket are the two things that came to mind. What my questions are, other than a shot gasket, what should I be looking for? Are there tests I can do to find the culprit?
    This truck is not a working truck. It is my personal truck that I bought for myself as a retirement gift. I'll need a big truck to haul all the huge fish I will be catching!!
    I do appreciate any and all help you guys/ gals have to offer.
    BTW. I have the intentions of doing the work myself.

SAR and Oxbow Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Liner walk, they rock back and forth

peterbilt_2005 and Oxbow Thank this.
  4. QUALITYTRUCK

QUALITYTRUCK Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2009
    romulus,mi
    Unfortunately Old Man is correct. Sorry for the bad news.

A5¢ and Oxbow Thank this.
  5. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Head gasket blown due to liners sunk is my guess, count on an inframe. If that head has to come off, with 1.4 million, you will be overhauling it no matter what you find. It doesn't make any sense not to overhaul at that point.

6. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    ^^^^^ Preliminary knowledge of the actual problem is irrelevant. Grape Ape hit the nail on the head. Not trying to be a smartazz. Just saying

A5¢, GrapeApe, SAR and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    That is about what I figured the diagnosis was going to be. I'll have to wait until spring when I can make a tarp shelter. Wisconsin winter is a poor time to be working outside!
    Thank you everyone for your help. Any suggestions for a good manual?

bigguns Thanks this.
  8. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    CAT factory manual. Should be able to get from the dealer or ebay. Worth every penny you pay for it

SAR, A5¢, Heavyd and 2 others Thank this.
  9. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Thank you, pushbroom. I'll need the manual so I have all the specs.

SAR, pushbroom and Oxbow Thank this.
  10. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Make absolutely sure you get the liner protrusion right. Most important part of the rebuild, it makes the head gasket last.

11. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I believe that is what has got me to where I am right now. I will know more when I pop the top off and see what gremlins are there. Hopefully, the head and the block will be flat.

SAR and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.