C15 Severe Coolant Loss

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by A5¢, Jan 24, 2018.

1. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I am not familiar with other engines, but I believe that the transfer pump on my BXS has a maximum of 125 psi, so without getting into something way over my head, I will keep my fuel pressure where it's at.

Oxbow and SAR Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    Matter of time it will happen. All the high pressure like your running is heating up the fuel it will (cook) the fuel. A varnish will build up on the injector plunger body and will either score the injectors or wear them out quicker.

wore out, Oxbow, A5¢ and 2 others Thank this.
  4. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    Update on bolst low pressure. After checking, rechecking and then checking again, I could find no leaks on the intake system. So I pulled both turbos off a d gave them another look at. When I took the casings off of the turbo with the actuator on it, I found cracks in the cast iron where the fins spin, just below where the steel shield fits in the casing. The bearings were worn zome and one shaft was showing some wear. Two new cartridges and replace the damaged casing. The parts will be here Friday, so I can put this problem to bed! I knew I would find it if I dug into it. Thank you to all, again, for the help.

pushbroom, SAR and Heavyd Thank this.
  5. SAR

SAR Road Train Member

Nov 26, 2011
    ND
    Good deal! Can you post a pic of the cracked cast please? Thanks

Oxbow and A5¢ Thank this.
  6. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I'll get some photos tomorrow. The cracks are not visible from the outside.

7. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    This is what the exhaust side of the turbo with the wastegate looks like. Not catastrophic damage, but it was not going to just go away. In the third picture, you can see where the fins were just starting to contact the casing.

Attached Files:

Oxbow, bigguns, swaan and 1 other person Thank this.
  8. ebill45

ebill45 Light Load Member

Oct 11, 2011
    dalton ga
    Cracked head. Those c15 are notorious for cracking the head. Had 2 of them

9. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    I guess this would be one of them as well, even though it took 1.4 million miles to crack. The turbos are one of the casualties of the coolant draining out the stack. When I get a break in the temperatures, I will put it back together and fire it up!

T800H, Oxbow and SAR Thank this.
  10. DieselTech_Aus

DieselTech_Aus Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    WA
    Yes this is quite common. The crack typically appears on the face between the 2 inlet valves. If it’s left long enough or it’s bad enough it will crack all the way through to the coolant gallery around the injector sleeve. This allows coolant to enter the cylinder and in some cases the cooling system to pressurize.

The cracks are from nothing other than heat. High inlet air temps, boost leaks, over fueling, incorrect injection timing and duration, exhaust back pressure, CAC system serviceability, engine overheating, high running coolant temps, excessive lugging and carbon packing all contribute to additional cylinder temps and will over time crack the head.

No boost leaks, free flowing exhaust, standard fueling, 180F or 2485513 thermostats, an adequately sized cooling system in good condition and inlet air temps in a reasonable range on an engine operated correctly with little lugging, acceptable EGT temps and coolant temps maintained with manual fan operation should do its whole life without cracking the head. The fact the fan doesn’t cut in until 103C coolant temp and 73C inlet air temp means the operator should be manually engaging the fan at coolant temps above 95C and at the bottom of the hills for long pulls loaded. 103C is simply too hot to be running with no fan.

Oxbow, bigguns, T800H and 2 others Thank this.
  11. A5¢

A5¢ Medium Load Member

Oct 30, 2017
    When I did the rebuild, I removed the rusty brackets that held the stacks in place. The truck is very quiet with just the catalytic converter. I would like to get a nice low rumbling sound. Nothing I need to wear ear plugs for, just loud enough so I can hear the cat growl a little. Any suggestions?
    P S. I don't want ANY muffler with bearings! I already how much maintenance is required;)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.