C15 starting issues.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by 99sterlingdump, Jul 26, 2021.

1. 99sterlingdump

99sterlingdump Bobtail Member

Jan 24, 2019
    Update- i took the filter housing completely apart, cleaned and inspected everything and put an oring on the end of the bleeder screw. I was getting better fuel pressure but only running about 65-75 at idle. I put clear hoses inline to make sure I wasn’t sucking air and getting adequate fuel to the transfer pump, nothing changed.
    I put a new transfer pump and now I’m getting around 70 psi while starting but it will not be crank. I can spray the slightest amount of ether and it fires right up, it doesn’t smoke or anything. With the new pump I’m getting around 90 psi but it is very sporadic my fuel gauge needle is jumping like crazy. (Did this with old pump also)

I’m lost. What can I check now? Isn’t much left expect injectors.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Is it turning over fast enough? Batteries and starter good? Do you get a check engine light when you turn the key on? Wondering if you could have a power supply issue that the ecm isn't getting power until it's running for some reason? Just kinda thinking out loud

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Seems hooking it up to ET might be prudent at this point.

lester Thanks this.
  5. 99sterlingdump

Jan 24, 2019
    I
    I was honestly debating this tonight as it has 2 new batteries but they only had two in stock so it is one battery short. I didn’t figure this would cause an issue as the motor sounds like it’s turning over enough.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. lester

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Just seems odd that a whiff of either will get it to fire. I think it could be that while cranking you aren't getting power to the ecm. But I'm no expert.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  7. 99sterlingdump

Jan 24, 2019
    the yellow check engine light is coming on while cranking

Oxbow and lester Thank this.
  8. 99sterlingdump

Jan 24, 2019
    Had a mechanic come out with ET and there weren’t any codes and he said he didn’t notice anything out of the norm but that he wasn’t just real familiar with the acert engine. What are some key things that I can have him check with the ET that would prevent it from cranking?

I've replaced the cam shaft sensor and the crank sensor with no luck.

9. lester

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Prevent it from starting you mean. If its turning over its cranking. If it doesn't fire its not starting.

Probably need to watch ET while it's cranking to see if something is missing. Crank or cam sensor speed readings. Or whatever else it needs to see to fire injectors

Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. 99sterlingdump

Jan 24, 2019
    It is seeing both of those and I also replaced both sensors since he checked with ET, I didn’t know if someone may know of some other parameters the computer looks at in order to start.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.