C15 - water temp erratic - what could it be?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by rollin coal, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Numb

Numb Crusty Curmudgeon

Jan 30, 2012
    Charlotte, N.Carolina
    had erratic temp readings on Volvo engine after cooling system work. they had to "burp" the system, it had air in it. when they told me that ,I about died laughing. burp !!??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. maxicruise

maxicruise Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Illinois
    Have a 6TS that had erratic readings when watching it on ET. I think that we went through 4 sensors with that problem. It was always a different reason, but we were pulling our hair out.

4. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    nothing with the thermostats would cause the gauge to do what you describe. sounds like a wire grounding out, or a bad gauge. wires that bounce on the engine at different spots gradually over time wear thru the coating. could also be where the end of the sensor was plugged back in after inframe was not all the way in. check from the sensor that sends the signal to the dash gauge & follow the wires make sure no bare wires showing.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    That's sort of what I was thinking but not along the lines of possibly a wire rubbed through. Like I say it was fine before the overhaul and now it's not. And the temp gauge works normally when I'm parked letting it warm up. It seems like only when I start rolling that it starts acting up. I don't totally dismiss the suggestions about thermstats but these are 195 degree stats and it only gets to 195 occasionally, actually on a hill yesterday it once got to 197 but that's the highest I have seen so far. Of course that doesn't mean much if the wires are loose or the harness is rubbed through. That's why I've been keeping a much closer eye on oil temp and using the fan accordingly.

Polito82 Thanks this.
  6. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Well, I can't get a pic from my phone posted up but I've found the likely culprit. About an eight of an inch of exposed, corroded wire going into the plug that plugs onto one of the sensors.

7. ENR

ENR Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Ontario
    I thought C-15's used 185 deg thermostat ?

8. ENR

ENR Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Ontario
    I wish I had a 195... The hotter the better I find.

9. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I believe from 03 and up they went 195's to help keep emissions down and fuel mileage up.

10. Taildragon

Taildragon Heavy Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Before you get to carried away, make sure that they reinstalled the ground strap from the engine to the frame.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  11. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I believe there are more than one? Also from the frame or motor to the cab?

rollin coal and Taildragon Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.