C15 - water temp erratic - what could it be?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by rollin coal, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Taildragon

Taildragon Heavy Load Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Good point oscar, if they left the one at the rear off going to the cab, it might cause this as well. I think there are more than one going to the frame also, check it out, my motto is "always check the free easy stuff first".

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    mine has three sensors two on top of thermo housing and one in the front that is very hard to reach. it is usally the one in front that gives me trouble with the plug.

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    if all else fails. go to dealer and buy new sensor. then find a matching one on the engine.

i replace sensor twice before mine started working correctly. the original was just flat out lazy and read whatever it wanted. but not untill the engine was warm. the first replacement was slow in reaction.

still waiting to get my refund bvack after 90 days from that first replacement.

5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    It's a sensor that's hard to get to on top of the thermo housing that has the bare, corroded wire going into the connector. I'll check the grounds before I buy anything. And about the oil temp being a little high.... the outside ambient temp was 92*, so that really wasn't all that unusual. Yesterday ambient temp was cooler and oil temps were normal. Really impressed with my fuel mileage after inframe. Was expecting that to possibly drop off. Average from Jan 1st until the motor went down was 6.2mpg. Last night the first tank I ran through it was 6.6mpg on 708 miles, even more impressive is I have been varying speed, not using cruise, and shifting etc to make sure everything seats in good - in other words not a conservative same steady speed manner. It's only one tankfull and nothing to get overly excited about but 6.5 or better sure would be nice...

6. Worthken

Worthken Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Delmas South Africa
    Let us know if you resolved the guage issue. I think you pin pointed the problem. Good luck Buddy.

7. A gear per tire

A gear per tire Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Where is the sending unit for the temp sensor? Anyone?

8. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    E-model is in front of front valve cover on passenger side on top of thermostat housing. You will see two sending units beside each other. One is for gauge other is for ecm. One wire per unit.

SAR Thanks this.
  9. A gear per tire

A gear per tire Bobtail Member

Jan 26, 2019
    Thank you

10. Kenny_24148

Kenny_24148 Bobtail Member

Jun 28, 2021
    How about on a NXS model acert ?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.