Cabin air filter recirculation 2017 579

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Edjahman, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Edjahman

Edjahman Medium Load Member

Apr 2, 2013
    I have a 2017 579 and my recirculation air flow has been pretty bad for a while. I finally found the recirculation filter inside the cab behind the glove box and on top of the blower motor and took it out.

I can't get the new one back in to save my life and Peterbilt wants 500$$ to put a 2$ filter back in place.

Can someone give me some advice about this? I'd just as soon leave it out but obviously that's not a good choice. I barely have the new one installed but it feels crooked and I really destroyed my forearm trying to slide it in place.

Thank you

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Edjahman

Apr 2, 2013
    It's really unbelievable just where they put this filter when they designed this tractor. I can't believe that a 175000$ piece of equipment is so difficult to work on with such a simple task as changing an interior air filter for the ventilation system.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. tnevin225

tnevin225 Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2014
    Look on you tube, Semi Truck DIY , it's a t680 but i think it will show you what you need.

Edjahman Thanks this.
  5. Edjahman

Apr 2, 2013
    OK I'll check it out thank you!

6. Edjahman

Apr 2, 2013
    That's a great video but sliding that filter in properly has been impossible up to this point. I'll mess with it more tomorrow. I left a comment on the guys YouTube video so maybe he'll reply.

Thank you for your help!

7. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    Don't you know we all are engineers now. Nothing makes sense on these trucks no logic involved whatsoever. I still can not find the fuse panel in this 579.

8. Edjahman

Apr 2, 2013
    Yeah I love the guy on YouTube....oh you just slide the replacement filter right on in there! It's easy!

I was jacking up the tendons in my forearm trying to slide it sideways. I have small hands and a small arm and I really couldn't get it to work properly. My forearm is killing me and I know it's only sorta installed properly.

I'm a pretty smart guy and I really, really am having an impossible time with this seemingly simple task.

Thank you for your replies!

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  9. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    On a T680 the cabins filters, yes there are two, are accessed from under the hood. Passenger side on the firewall. I’ve changed them a few times. Takes a little flexing and wiggling of thr new filters.

10. Edjahman

Apr 2, 2013
    My seventeen year old daughter who doesn't know anything mechanical whatsoever can change the ones under the hood near the firewall.

This filter is behind the glove box and above the blower motor. It's accessed from inside the tractor and it's the recirculation filter for the hvac.

mitrucker Thanks this.
  11. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    Upon further investigation, you are correct. I learned something new.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.