cable driven Tachometer and speedometer

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by PSM379, Jan 2, 2021.

1. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    1985 western star, 3406B cat, cable driven tech and speedo. I noticed the tach is reading lower then what the Motor is actually operating at, speedo also bounces when it gets around 40mph, I have found a new to me speedo that matches mine and hope this fixes it as it seems the odometer is correct so I’m hoping there’s something in the speedo doing this. As for the tachometer what can I be looking at? Bad cable? Loose connection? Tachometer itself can be bad? Thanks for any help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    1 Make sure the cable has no sharp bends in it.
    2 make sure outer sheath is not melted, kinked or crushed.
    3 remove inner drive cable and check for kinks or binding.
    4 clean and remove any rust or old grease from inner cable.
    5 clean and blow out outer casing and then lube and reinstall inner cable.
    This should get you to where you want to be if the issue is in the cable.

4. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    ^^^^^^^What he said ^^^^^^^

5. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Thank you, I will check it out. Appreciate the feedback

6. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    There were also two different gear ratio tachs made back then. One is a 1.5:1 and the other is 2.00:1 I believe. It can be the difference of 1000 rpm.
    One was for Detroits and the other was Cummins/ Cat.
    Someone put an AC Delco tach for a Detroit in one of my Cummins powered trucks at some point and it was way off when I first got it running again. Had it screaming at probly 2400 when it read 2100.

Stewart-Warner still makes both ratios in the old classic “deluxe” line.

pushbroom and PSM379 Thank this.
  7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    How do you know what the engine speed is.

Deal with this on some cars and my jeep which has a military mechanical tach installed, I removed the cable and cleaned the casing with a mild cleaner then I lubed the cable and casing with ac delco general lube.

PSM379 Thanks this.
  8. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    I have had the cable end wear and jump in the socket. This was on a 359. The cable end was about an inch long and square looking at it from the end. As I recall I was able to purchase a new inner cable. This was 30 some years ago, but it's worth looking at both drive sockets, on tach and engine. The symptoms you describe were the same that I had.

You may be able to convert to electric fairly easy if the flywheel housing has a plug with which to add a tach sensor.

Edit to add: Like Ridgeline mentioned, clean cable will help. I believe I used to use dry graphite.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    pushbroom, spsauerland and PSM379 Thank this.
  9. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Thanks you guys, I appreciate all the info.

10. PSM379

PSM379 Heavy Load Member

Apr 19, 2019
    Ok, so not to sound stupid how do I get the inner cable out of the speedometer cable?. Changing the speedo didn’t work for me. It’s still jumping and making noise. I removed the cable at the trans and used a drill to run it and the problem seems to be the cable. The plastic sheathing on the cable has some bad spots in it, which looks like it’s revealing a metal covering. Is speedo cable universal? Can I crimp ends on? I’ve tried to watch some videos on you tube and it doesn’t really have the breakdown or installation process explained well. If anyone has the time to explain I’d appreciate it. If I got new cable how would I run the end into the cab that hooks to speedo?

11. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    Oxbow, pushbroom and PSM379 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.