Cabovers

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Wildcat74, Apr 3, 2011.

1. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    in 1981 mercedes bought swiss manufacture saurer and place there their production of special vehicles "NAW" (nutzfahrzeuggesellschaft arbon & wetzikon ag )

so they used to make special 2.3m swiss trucks , special 3.2m wide trucks for syberia heavy haulers ( most famous was 3850 6x6 with v10 engine),all kind of imaginable trucks chassis , 4axle trucks before larger production , low floor buses , airport busses with front wheel drive, 2.3m wide busses for swiss market and many more.....

oh yes factory is closed in jan/2003....so production is moved to worth germany

here is something from their work

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    Scalapendra trucks)))

were used on BAM (Baykal Amur Railroad) construction. all died in Syberia with hard suffering

4. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    few more of SLT tractors for 250-300ton

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    which ones?

here are pictures of mercedes trucks for syberia they recently sold 304X with meiller body

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    we use to call multy axel trucks ( more then four) scalapendra)

I saw these dump trailers in so junk condition.... rusty....

7. Icee

Icee Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Finland
    Not really the right thread but just wanted to show it. At least it's a cabover ;)

The first trailer drove out. So the cargo was loaded to another truck. He came 50m before he got stuck :D . The first problem is of course 2 axle (6x2 tag is what you need) But look at the chains, useless piece of crap. You need real ice chains
    Other problem, those tires are not meant to be used in the winter and is actually e legal in Norway
    http://www.nrk.no/video/reservebilen_havnet_ogsa_i_grofta/D4B6A9F6BE0CF974/emne/utenlandske%20trailere/

Those trucks got nothing to do in the winter. But it's just so funny I wanted to show it

8. Pablo-UA

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    FH crew are russians. As I can understand from North Russia. When truck got in stuck one says - reverse, other: what a heel, where to back?

Ok, as you all can see, it is 4x2 truck, so this refer weight distribution is not like on US trailers, about 10 metric ton per drive axel and more traction issues. So I would say for nordic weather US trailer with tandem axel is better so drive axel load is about 16 metric ton.

That's why we use 6x2 ore 6x4 trucktors with US trailers, and really many 6x2 EU cabovers are available

all EU 6x2 trucktors got ECAS so lift axe may be risen to start (traction help).

9. Icee

Icee Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Finland
    The truckdriver that had the accident was from Moldova, of course lost his license and got a ticket for bad tires.
    All in all that was a reportage about east Europeans coming to Norway with bad equipment. Complaining about tires, chains and 2 axle truck. They want bigger controls at the border or even forbid east Europeans in the winter.
    With a 6x2he would with out a problem got 15-16t on the drive with tag lifted and that hill would have been no problem at all even without chains. Just a 23t load, so nothing to talk about.

Normaly it's 5-6 about this everyday just on the highways. But this one was the most funny I have reed about this winter :)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  10. 98989

98989 Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2008
    @Icee

what do you think is best solution for somebody from here who need to go in noreway keep in mind that 6x2 is too expensive and to heavy

so it need to be 4x2

is it possible that truck with winter tires or m+s and ice chains can work there?

also in this solution he need to raise airbags on drive axle and lower trailer to ground in most cases this will allow him to raise front axle on trailer and trailer will get most of its weight on last axle

so this brings about 12.5-13t on drive axle

11. Icee

Icee Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Finland
    Thats the thing, the 6x2 are not to expensive, just rise the bill to the same as every Nordic driver and it won't be a problem any more and who care if it's to heavy, it's peoples life's we are talking about, just take a smaller load. You buy the truck for where you are going for example the company I work for drives to Norway meaning tag and big engines. If we would drive sweden and finland it's a 24m or 25.25m combination and to southern Europe it would probably be a 4x2

First of all, real tires (observe, not just Norway but Sweden and Finland to (when the first real ice hit north Sweden there where seven!! east European trucks that had an accident just on the same highway, I was on the same road and couldn't see any problem)). Meaning drive + steer and the middle trailer axle to + last for even better grip

ex.
    http://www.nokiantyres.com/tyre?id=10932358&group=4.02&name=Nokian+Hakkapeliitta+Truck+E
    Bridgestone has a very god tire to.

Ice chains! (Norway requires 7!) not the stuff from us. This a tractor but only picture i could find whit the right stuff.
    [​IMG]

Lift able first trailer axle, not just remove pressure. A movable fifth wheel (right name?) so you can get better pressure, none cares if you are to long on the highway if you are able to keep the truck moving.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.