California In A Nutshell

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by izifaddag, Feb 21, 2018.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Your chances of getting caught in a CARB truck check are very small. They usually set up at open scales or sometimes in rest areas. If they're up everybody will be talking about it on the CB.
    They seldom work nights or weekends and I've never seen them out in rainy or cold weather.
    That being said, if you do get caught you'll wish you never came to California. The fines and penalties are huge.

izifaddag Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    And those are enforceable how?

Is CARB able to flag registrations or something?

4. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    I'm not really sure. The few times that we've been inspected we passed and got a little sticker along with a paper showing the inspection details.
    The way I understand it if you don't pass you're issued a citation. To get the citation cleared you have to show proof of correction, kind of like a fixit ticket.
    The CARB inspectors have access to DMV files but I don't know how that would work with out of state trucks.
    I've heard that if an out of stater gets inspected and fails that there really isn't much they can do to demand correction. If the truck goes out of California and never gets corrected I don't think they can do anything. But..if the truck comes back into California there's a data base that will show non compliance. I wouldn't want to be that guy.
    Like I said, I really don't know a lot of this for sure. It's just what I hear and what little I've learned from the CARB guys themselves.
    One thing everybody agrees on is that the fines for non-compliance are brutal.

izifaddag and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  5. Emgee

Emgee Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Rohnert Park, CA
  6. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    izifaddag Thanks this.
  7. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    I think Steals is the wrong word..... Extort may be more appropriate.

It's a case of if you break the law pay the fine..... Just like if it were a speeding ticket.
    If you don't like the law do something to get it changed.....

8. againstthewind

againstthewind Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2012
  9. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

Maybe one day it'll be a blue law. Just like you can't have an elephant sit on top of your refrigerator on sundays..... now you can't drive dirty diesels in 1 out of 50 states.

10. Emgee

Emgee Light Load Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Rohnert Park, CA
    Do you know how many times the CARB has been sued by trucking companies? California literally gives 2 ####s about what ANYONE thinks.. They do what they do, when they want to do it and have no reason to why and don't care the effects it has on people. California doesn't have money for textbooks in schools or fixing the roads here, so they raise taxes on fuel etc to pay for it... But the CARB somehow found a way to give companies that surrender their dirty truck to them and gave the company $50k PER TRUCK.. and we're not talking about giving that money to small companies.. Im talking Safeway, Costco, Walmart etc.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.