California Level 1 & ELD Coversation

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Scooter Jones, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Was pulled in for a Level 1 inspection today in California. Inspector asked me if I am elogs, to which I relied yes. He asked when my last 34 hour reset was, I told him Monday and that I reset every week, only work 40 to 45 hours a week.

That was that. Didn't want to dig, look at ELD instruction card, review last 8 days or anything.

So, I struck up a conversation with him regarding the ELD Mandate that just went into effect. He rolled his eyes and proceeded to (in no uncertain words) express his opinion that the State was NOT READY for the mandate procedurally.

In fact, he said that they had just received an inner-agency email stating such and that they were going to have to roll out processes & procedures regarding the ELD mandate in a 4 YEAR projection!

That's right folks, this is exactly what OOIDA was arguing. That there is no way these state agencies were prepared to deal with the multiplicity of procedural & technical issues that were going to arise.

He recounted an inspection he did this week. The driver showed him his screen, the elog showed the driver had been on-duty driving for 17 straight hours and that he didn't know what to do. Couldn't get anyone to fix it, etc.

Subsequently the inspector put him OOS in the parking lot because he thought the guy was pulling his leg. Driver comes back into the office 2 hours later and shows the inspector that the log had now shown him on-duty driving for 19 straight hours!

Inspector told me was incredulous. "I wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it with my own eyes, I knew the driver hadn't moved!"

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    I mean just look at how many "self-certified" ELD's are registered with the FMCSA ELD - Registered ELDs

While there, click on the Review Revoked Devices tab ;-)

snowman_w900, Oxbow and 25(2)+2 Thank this.
  4. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    This is why Canada has not followed along on implementing ELDs. The regulatory process here is somewhat different in that although there is a federal regulator, it is actually the provinces that wield the power. The association responsible for steering legislation (Canadian Council of Motor Transport Administrators--CCMTA) are certainly aware of ELDs and the US mandate (in fact, the FMCSA was lobbying the CCMTA to get onside), but they had several material concerns about the whole process.

whoopNride, Oxbow, Timin770 and 2 others Thank this.
  5. USA Trucker

USA Trucker Light Load Member

Oct 2, 2017
    How do you reset the 8 day rule?

If you call tech support and unit doesn't get fixed, does that start a new 8 days on paper logs?

Oxbow Thanks this.
  6. Makeajump

Makeajump Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    No ELDs Revolked?:rolleyes:

7. Makeajump

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    I would think so.......I would try it to see if it worked then if it didn't back to paper ........o_O

Trucker61016 Thanks this.
  8. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    I met a guy having breakfast at the Petro......he didn't know how to use his ELD and the thing put him on duty when he started his truck.......he was about to hang it up. Mission accomplished Megas....

9. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    If the driver's ELD was malfunctioning, he should have gone to paper logs as a backup. This story smacks of horse excrement...

10. Makeajump

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    Yep, I had one like that at one time It would put you on duty if you turned on the key.....we had so many problems with it we canceled after the first year and I ripped it all out with pleasure :)

whoopNride Thanks this.
  11. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    I don't give a horse excrement if you believe it or not. That's what the inspector told me.

The fact that the driver might not have reverted to paper logs is a separate issue. One that I didn't pursue because I was ranting about how inept the bureaucrats are at the FMCSA.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.