Calling all ABF drivers

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Cdubb, Aug 18, 2020.

1. Cdubb

Cdubb Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Looking at a job in Toledo, OH for a city driver job, now I really am not wanting a city driver job, I’d prefer a line haul or road type job but being a union job it’s still tempting.

My question is can a city job lead to line haul or road jobs over time? Is the city driver job sort of the entry level position? I’m guessing you have to bid on a route and are at the mercy of the seniority ladder and it depends on location.

I like the idea of union work but I dread the thought of being a city driver, need some guidance here.

truckdriver31 and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Former ABF driver here. Linehaul and city drivers are two separate positions. One will not lead to a position with the other down the road.

Every terminal is different, but ABF seems to want to work their employees hard, so go in wanting to work.

It's a good job. You'll like it.

4. Cdubb

Cdubb Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Well I sent in an app for the job thinking it will probably have a lot of applications so might as well throw my hat in the ring.

Now knowing what you said let me ask you this, is ABF like most large companies when a job opens up is it offered internally first before going public? Do transfers occur? Although it doesn’t directly lead to the job i want would it be better to get your foot in the door first or wait til the right job comes up? I’m not unemployed at the moment and not hurting for money but I want to make more and the benefits package sounds very nice.

I guess where I am at is I need experience so if they will take me on I’ll do it but if I can’t get away from the city driving I’m not sure I’ll stay for the long run. I love the thought of being Union, my dad made a nice living in the painters union and my family had great insurance with them when I was younger, so that’s all good. But like I said if I’m stuck city driving for the duration of my employment I’m not sure about it.

LtlAnonymous and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  5. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    how much experience you have. are you a safe driver. can you do 5 days in a sleeper truck off 2 days every week

6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Can't go wrong with ABF, probably looking for a new line haul driver in Florida,,,Most companies promote from within, so if a job came up you like, an inside person was always considered 1st. It's not like you have a "cold quarter", they already know what kind of employee you are. Saves a lot of hassle on their part. Most all freight outfits have gone under, and if a company makes it in these times, I'd go with them.

LtlAnonymous, truckdriver31 and Cdubb Thank this.
  7. Cdubb

Cdubb Light Load Member

Mar 22, 2015
    Not really looking for that kind of work, I had a few offers similar from some Megas and a few smaller ones when I got out of school. Got two months of T/T driving plus school.

LtlAnonymous and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  8. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Go to the teminal and introduce yourself to the steward, he can answer any questions you have.

9. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    No road board in Toledo. Closest road boards are in North Lima, OH, Chicago, and Indianapolis. ABF does not like to do transfers so you would go to the bottom of the board for Seniority but keep Seniority for vacation. New hires start at 90% and the same is true for a transfer.

Cdubb, truckdriver31 and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  10. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    what about lay offs and etc

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  11. Moon_beam

Moon_beam Heavy Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I am hearing that there is freight sitting which means that they will be bringing in more purchased transportation to move road freight. For the city they have been renting straight trucks and having Class B drivers from who knows where peddling freight but not picking up freight. Many terminals are short drivers. There had been a utility driver classification that drove from a home terminal then worked the dock at a foreign terminal before returning to their home terminal but apparently that classification has been eliminated.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.