Calling FMCSA deadline?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckRunner, Nov 18, 2018.

1. TruckRunner

TruckRunner Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2017
    I searched and everywhere it says when you get the FMCSA letter to call them for the new entry audit and if you don't they will ruin your life. Though no one says if there is a deadline to call them? Is it a week or a month or one day that you have to call them or what? I am on the road and not sitting in front of my mailbox.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Letter for what? New entrant audit?

4. TruckRunner

Dec 21, 2017
    Yes. Thanks I edited my post to add that part in.

5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Michigan is my base state. An officer contacted me by phone and I was on the road. He suggested dates only a few days away, when I explained to him my operation is not an out and back operation we settled on a hard date beyond his initial request.

The thing is not to dodge them. If you do, they will eventually deactivate your numbers. The initial audit is not a big deal, just making sure you're doing things the way they want them done. They will correct you if needed. Fines generally not handed out on this one. Your one "free" audit to make sure you're doing your homework correctly, basicly. Your state may notify by mail, not sure if they're all the same or what. You should have someone collecting your mail when you are away for extended periods anyway. Maybe even depositing checks for you as well.

TruckRunner and Rounded_nut Thank this.
  6. TruckRunner

Dec 21, 2017
    I have my mail sent to a PO Box. Doing research online says if you dont call the number they provide in the letter you'll be fined $10,000 so I am wondering what the deadline of that is. I plan to follow all of their rules since they control my life.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    call them tomorrow morning and setup an appointment.

I would recommend you get a mailing service who will open the mail and notify you of these things and keep business and personal stuff separate.

TruckRunner Thanks this.
  8. Rounded_nut

Rounded_nut Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2018
    Yup as said by gokiddogo, it's not a random revenue generation audit, it's all about making sure you have all the paperwork and drug testing in place, are keeping good records as well as an opportunity to ask questions without consequences. The only time you'll be getting fines is if your being grossly negligent/showing a pattern of serious errors. During mine the officer found a couple errors on my logbook, simple stuff that I missed, no penalty just asked to correct it. The officer will usually be accommodating for scheduling and email back and forth to be sure they have everything then after the audit is completed you'll eventually get a letter stating that your permanent authority has been issued.[/S]

Midwest Trucker and TruckRunner Thank this.
  9. zmster2033

zmster2033 Light Load Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Charlotte, NC
    I just went through mine in NC. I received a letter and an email notifying me that they wanted to conduct this, although everything was handled online. I had a couple questions so reached out to my auditor directly to get some clarification and then just emailed/uploaded the corresponding documents. Everything checked out and I was on my way. With that being said, are brokers/customers able to see that I went through this? I have had some brokers advise that a year of authority was needed but an exception could be made if a New Entrant Audit had been conducted.

10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    I posted a thread about my new entrant audit awhile back.

Received notice of my first FMCSA audit...

TruckRunner Thanks this.
  11. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Took about a year to get contacted for my new entrant audit. Wen through logs and made sure we had the random drug testing. Then checked out a tractor trailer we had on the yard to make sure it passed. He focused on the brakes and leak off when having your foot in the brake. Made sure there wasn’t any fuel leaks. Passed. Hadn’t heard from them since in 9 or 10 yrs.

baha and HopeOverMope Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.