Cam and crank sensor issue on cat motor

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Cam Roberts, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Cam Roberts

Cam Roberts Road Train Member

May 13, 2018
    Cat c12 2ks
    did some searching to try and figure out on my own. I read in one thread that the engine should still run if I disconnect one of the sensors. Either or. I found that my motor will stay running if I unplug the crank sensor. If I plug that. Ack in and go and unplug the cam sensor, the truck shuts off.
    I’m trying to figure out what my truck starts and then for a split second acts like it’s gonna shut down. It threw code 34. I replaced both sensors with new cat sensors. Probably was still there. So then I took apart the harness that holds the 2 sets of wires going to the 2 sensors. I found the wires were destroyed from oil contaminants and wires were out of the plastic and all green and corroded. I kept going up the wire till I found clean shiny copper and spliced in lines with new cat plug sockets and connectors. After that the truck started like a champ until today it’s acting wacky again sounding like cam or crank issue still. Those are the only codes stored.
    Tested voltage at the 2 plugs for the sensors and getting 2.5 volts from both prongs on both plugs which seems odd to me that both prongs are hot. Checked the other sensors on truck and they read 5v and only one prong is hot. What’s going on here. Wires are bad to the sensors further into the harness that I didn’t cut into? Bout to just buy a whole new main engine harness

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    These are the plugs and both sides read 2.5 volts on cam and crank sensor plugs.

2CAC0276-31FC-495B-B778-55670A8CBF90.jpeg Sorry for the #### long post

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    Here’s video of what I’m talking about when I start truck. Sounds like it wants to shut off for a split second

5. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
  6. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    The manual never states what voltage should be coming from the ecm, so I wouldnt worry too much about your readings. Instead I would remove the ECM connector and ohm out the wires to the sensor. If you measure the sensor resistance first, then plug the sensor back in and jump up to the the ecm plug, the same resistance should be read.
    If that reads ok, shake the harness while checking ohms and also check for a pin to pin short/ short to ground.
    Harness and diagnostics attached.
    Primary speed sensor ( crank) 75-230 ohms
    Secondary speed ( cam) 600-1800 ohms

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    spsauerland and SAR Thank this.
  7. Muddydog79

Muddydog79 Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Bout 750$ for that harness, but im sure you know that by now.

8. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    I wouldn't be concerned about the voltage on those wires, the cam and crank sensors are both hall effect type sensors.

All your other sensors are variable resistors so to speak.

SAR and Oxbow Thank this.
  9. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    Dam thank you for this information. Gonna do this today

Oxbow Thanks this.
  10. Cam Roberts

May 13, 2018
    Yeah man it’s pricey. Gonna tear into this harness today. Gonna do whatvthe first guy in the thread said to do.

Ok thanks for this info bro

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Wouldn't worry about voltage you see. The voltage your meter is picking up is what ECM is using for circuit integrity checks, how ECM measures for opens or shorts/ voltage high/low or high current/low current fault codes. Usually a pull up or pull down resistor in series or parallel in ECM circuit.

SAR, Oxbow, pushbroom and 1 other person Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.