Can a Owner Operator be home Every Night and make it?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Luke628, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Luke628

Luke628 Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    I have read through quite a few of these threads. It's very good and interesting reading.

I've noticed however that pretty much all OOs here are over the road.

I've been a CDL driver for 17 years. In all that time I have not once slept in a truck.

Just never had the desire. I like sleeping in my own bed at my House.

My question is what are the best options to be an OO and still be home every night.

I'm in Houston, and assume it's more plausible when one lives in a big town like this.

What do y'all think?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Depends on what you want to do.
    How much you want to make.
    Are we talking leased on or own numbers?

4. Beethoven

Beethoven Light Load Member

May 3, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    i think it depends upon where you live. One of the most common ways guys are home every night around here is by pulling containers. I did it for a few years but the rates just kept falling and the yards around here (Cincinnati) are in terrible condition. I actually was losing money with all the repairs just from wear and tear on the truck. King pins, bags, and tires were a constant problem. A lot of trucks around here look like crap just because they spend their days in these yards and depots.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  5. Luke628

Aug 20, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    I'd be buying my own truck with a budget of up to 30k

No way I'll ever do the fleece

6. Luke628

Aug 20, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    Yeah , tons of container freight coming off of Barbours cut. I know a lot are OOs. Have no idea what they make though.

7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    He said leased on. Nothing about lease purchase. Not tying to be snarky here but the simple truth is you just showed everyone you got a whole lot of research to do before even thinking about buying a truck.

8. Luke628

Aug 20, 2013
    Houston,Tx
    Researching is what I'm doing right now.

9. brian991219

brian991219 Road Train Member

Aug 10, 2013
    Lords Valley, PA
    Yes you can, but you will need a niche or offer something no one else is offering to your customers. You should find you own customers, broker loads will kill you trying to stay local. I run a daycab car hauler and am home almost every night, I only stay out when I choose to do so because it makes financial sense to stay in a hotel rather than deadhead home only to go back past where I dropped the next day. There are some LTL carriers that hire owner operators to run local runs, not sure who in the Houston area to go talk to.

Luke628 Thanks this.
  10. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Keep at it, and six months from now you might have a minimal amount of info to make an educated decision. use the search feature and read until your eyes bleed. The more you can learn now, the better your chances of success will be

SoDel, RERM and truckon Thank this.
  11. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Gas haulers in Oklahoma city are oo and do good and home most nights or work all night

Luke628 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.