Can any state pull your CDL for dui from 15yr before you got your CDL? They just did!!!!

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by carptransport, Jul 23, 2020.

can you get a cdl with 2 prior duis, over 10 years old..

1. yes

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. no

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  1. BackwoodsGA

BackwoodsGA Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Elgin Nd
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. carptransport

carptransport Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2018
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    i dont live in mass i live in fl, licenced in fl

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Here's another example showing Mass. is really screwed up and ruining peoples lives.
    This is right off Garner Trucking website:
    Requirements for Regional Drivers
    • Valid Class A-CDL
    • MVR must pass company insurance
    • No more than 3 employers in the past year
    • No more than 1 DUI in a lifetime, must be older than 5 y
    One driver on this forum posted he has 3 DUI's around 20 yrs. ago and had no problem at all getting started in trucking.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  5. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    While i don't truly know the legal stance Mass is trying to pull, but this is akin to Mass charging you for a crime that you were charged with in another state. So, you have an offense in FL, serve your time and are released, then Mass says OK we are now going to charge you for this same crime and punish you.
    Sadly, this may require a lot of time and maybe money to resolve. But, you might get an attorney to work the case if you then file a lawsuit against Mass for their overreaching authority.

born&raisedintheusa Thanks this.
  6. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I agree that there is most certainly a moral case for damages, but the amount of money and emotional energy to get it?

I really think this would be something for OOIDA to take up -- it truly is a state screwing independent drivers.

7. carptransport

Dec 11, 2018
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    already spoke with ooida, they cant do anything, they want me to update them on my results.

i have already obtained a lawyer at 2800$, its a no brainer mass f'd up, the problem is the only way to resolve is through the appeals courts which are closed indefinitely due to covid

born&raisedintheusa and Chinatown Thank this.
  8. carptransport

Dec 11, 2018
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    well thats not really mass, thats the company policy, many companys wont hire someone with more than 1 dui but that doesnt mean they cant get a cdl and become an owner op

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    My point is, Mass is completely wrong about being banned for life if a driver gets a DUI.
    If that were true, companies would not be hiring drivers with a DUI in their past.

10. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    They can do a number of things, including supporting you with $, attorneys and PR in your case. They have a nationwide platform, they can get hundreds of truckers in MASS and FL to call their congress critters through a call to action, they can call staff of congresscritters at the Federal level and stir things up. They have relationships with news rooms and national press bureaus. They can give this story legs.

OOIDA can't fix stupid, but they can create much needed momentum on your side of this case.

Chinatown, FoolsErrand and snowwy Thank this.
  11. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017

Piss off, theres no need for you to add to this guys troubles. Massachusetts loves ruining lives.

OP- call attorney cliff heaton in palmer mass. He's one of my best friends, and a good lawyer. As honest as they come.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.