can anyone recomend

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by fisher guy, Nov 19, 2012.

1. fisher guy

fisher guy Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    howdy howdy, can anyone recomend any decent free or cheap loadboards for me?
    I'm a company driver and one in a while i find myself sitting and bored. i know everyone goes through this at some point but i figure 4 eyes are better then 2 when it comes to looking for loads.

my company doesnt mind as long as i dont book it with out them knowing maybe someone on here knows of a board that they dont know about or something like that. boss treats us as owner ops and thinks this a great idea as he puts it (dispatch needs all the help they can get sometimes)

like i said i just want to see whats out there and if i find something to my liking rate wise or destination wise i'll just make a phone call to dispatch and let them handle the rest

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Marlin46

Marlin46 Medium Load Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    May want to try:

http://www.dispatch.bnsflogistics.com/ or www.landstarbroker.com - assuming your company is set up with both. Also TQL and CHR both have apps for Iphone and Android that you can check out. Occasionally I find decent loads on all of the above boards with the key word being occasionally.

Perhaps see if you can dig up a few direct shippers as well....it never hurts to ask. Hope this helps!

fisher guy Thanks this.
  4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    OOIDA has a loadboard that isn't very expensive for members called www.mymembersedge.com. Some of the larger brokers also have their own loadboard for those who are set up with them. Most loadboards will require that you have active authority and insurance in order to subscribe. Some will allow drivers to subscribe and pay as long as you have the written permission from your carrier. You might also ask your company if they will allow you to access those loadboards that they subscribe so that you can search for your own loads. Most subscribe to at lease one or two loadboards.

fisher guy Thanks this.
  5. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    down load "My DAT trucker services" app(free android) pretty handy I think, only used it for loads twice though

fisher guy Thanks this.
  6. fisher guy

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    thanx everyone as a matter of fact the load i got on right now is a bnsf load i look in to them and ch robinson

7. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Get your boss to email you account usernames and passwords for CHR etc. Never post your truck without checking first if it's ok, some charge extra for that service. Landstar allows multiple usernames/logins for different people at any given company for free. Get ready for lots of wasted calls on cheap in the beginning. Don't forget to figure deadhead miles in the rate. Make mental notes about everything you see and call on that pops regular in your areas. Don't be afraid of asking for a lot more money, they aren't shy offering stupid cheap. Realize if they're$200-300 apart from your minimum it might be a lost cause but not always. Learn how to "read" what a broker is telling you they sometimes tip their hand and give clues letting you know they are desperate to cover the load. It's like playing poker. Never tip your hand. Always be willing to walk away from ANY load no matter where it's going that works if the rate is too cheap. There is ALWAYS another option(s) keep looking. He who has the most patience wins. One other thing, mask your number as "private" on caller ID dialing *67 then the number. Not all brokerages accept such calls but most do. Don't give them an excuse to easily offer you a "backhaul" rate.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
    fisher guy and yotaman Thank this.
  8. fisher guy

Mar 22, 2009
    Ocala Florida
    great advice id probally wont be doing to much with the rate negotiations at first but it is something i would like to get my feet wet with down the road kinda like practice for when im ready to get my own rig. one thing im really gonna start looking at is dedicated accounts and trying to land them for my company but again this would just be practice for when i get my own rig and hopefully develop some good contacts along the way.
    any ideas?

9. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    Does the company you work for now know what you have in mind down the road? Once you have your guns loaded (plenty of cash in the bank) and can pull the trigger at any time, may be a good time to let them in on what you are thinking of doing in the future. My old company told me I can totally dispatch myself and they would give me an extra 5% of whatever I found on my own, still through their authority. He still would cover fuel cards and would do all the billing and all the IFTA and all of that. I had advice from someone who told me there are guys out there that work under someone else's authority like that, and the customers they haul for know them for them, they know the situation of they are just working under someone else's name. If you can find the right percentages as to what you feel the IFTA, authority, billing, is worth, (in my mind it should be able 8%, but I haven't worked the numbers yet) then that deal can work. You can still do whatever you want to do.

The reason I jumped ship was because in my mind, if I found it it is MY account any MY MONEY. All of it. There were also other reasons I left there and set out on my own. When other companies have drivers angry and upset about things, being run into the ground, nothing runs smooth, I see worlds of opportunity there. And there is plenty of that going on around me. :headbang:

10. VisionLogistics

VisionLogistics Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2011
    Jellystone
    Good advice.

Also try to keep emotions out of the transaction. A lot of new carriers are ready for a fight, so to speak, when they call to negotiate a rate. For the guy on the other side of the phone, it's just business, ho hum. Be ready to decline their top dollar offer and keep looking if you can't run for that amount. Negotiating with respect and professionalism goes a long way, and helps keep you sane. Remember, it's not personal.

rollin coal Thanks this.
  11. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

When you run under someone else authority all paperwork, billing and checks are in their name, regardless of your arrangement with the guy who has the authority. If you are only running under someone just for their authority, it would probably be best if you just got your own authority with your own IFTA account, etc.,

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.