Can I fix 12 inch crack on windshield? Outside layer

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Askingalexandria, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Askingalexandria

Askingalexandria Light Load Member

Feb 14, 2018
    So my windshield at the bottom have a nice 10 to 12 inch thin crack. It's the outside layer. Can I use one of those repair kits? Or can kenworth fix it? I don't wanna have to buy a new one ugh

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 86mechanic

86mechanic Medium Load Member

Sep 6, 2016
    Northridge, CA
    Doubt it. Those kits are mostly for rock chips, it's supposed keep the chips from turning into cracks.

Grubby and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    New windshields are cheap and pretty easy DIY install too.

Grubby and 86mechanic Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Replace it.

Forget the little kits. If it chipped a tiny size of say a nail point, you use the kit in a certain manner with a pump to seal it before making cracks and friends.

The last windshield I replaced on the spot was in a 83 COE and I think it was only a few hundred dollars total for a minor but growing cracks. I have no tolerance for cracks as it attracts attention from the Law either on the road or going through the scales. It practicially screams ticket me, I have no money to fix this broken down truck. You are a rolling billboard advertising a potential jack pot after a top level probing inspection.

6. GrapeApe

GrapeApe Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Call a local glass shop, avoid the dealerships. If you have a split window, they're cheap, we pay $150 installed for out 379/389 Petes. The last single windshield I did was an International and it was $280 installed. Here in northeast PA, we use either Northeast Auto Glass or Pensock Auto Glass. Safelite and Arrow are a little more, but still cheaper than a dealership.

SAR Thanks this.
  7. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Where I'm at there is no-one local. Safelite is about it. MHC Kenworth bodyshop in Nashville is competitive with Safelite but I have to drive 90 miles 1 way so not worth it. I've used Safelite a couple of times and they did fine. This last time I called Safelite a few days ago and the idiot couldn't get the locking bead back into it. He cut the #### thing into 4 pieces. I told him him to ####ing leave and I would deal with it. That's how I learned It's really not so to bad DIY windshield for the 1 truck operator that might want to save a buck. I will never call Safelite again that's for sure!

SAR Thanks this.
  8. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    Just put a fat bead of silicone over it with a caulk gun. :)

86mechanic Thanks this.
  9. RustyBolt

RustyBolt Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2015
    Bement, IL
    Circular cracks can be masked with a "repair kit". A long crack like you're describing might (but probably not) be hidden with a "repair kit". But it most likely won't last any longer than the first really cold or really hot day.

My 2 pennies.

10. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I have to say here. My windshield is a one piece curved in a KW and may be simpler than others. There's no glue required. All you have to do is pull the locking bead, pop the old window out, put the new one in, put the new locking bead in with some picks and hooks that can bought at harbor freight for less than $10. That's it.... About 2 hours of your time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.