Can I run without a front plate?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by E46m3, Mar 3, 2019.

1. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    In jurisdictions that issue 2 plates, they do check, I've been hammered for it when I was a new driver. The rear plate fell off somewhere in my travels I told the boss we both thought nothing of it. I get inspected in ON both me and company get ticket for it. Later, I learn it's a way to game the system if you have 2 identical trucks... inspectors very rarely check the stamped vin of the vehicle against the cab card and insurance... so unless something happens to the mismatching vin truck... you get 2 on the road, plated and insured for the price of 1...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    company driver?

Call the company, tell them about it.

Owner Operator?

Order a new plate when you get a chance, maybe even email the DMV and ask them if you can fax them the replacement application and pay for it by credit card, have someone pick it up and have it fedex overnight to the truck stop you will be at.

either way, don't sweat about it, it happens a lot more than you think.

4. E46m3

E46m3 Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Company driver. They said to run at night and if anything happens “they will take care of it”.

5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OK, you are really off the hook anyway, you reported it to the company, that's all you need. If a cop gives you a hassle, call for his supervisor and get someone else involved. The only thing the plate does to give an indication who you are. If there is a problem with a scale officer, then tell them you called the company and hand them the cab card.

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No. no. no.

Forget the cardboard. That means you are already in the process of getting a plate. I once had my trailer plate taken and Texas stopped me east of Dallas one day, the fine DPS people. I was interrogated pretty strongly about that plate. All the papers in the truck was legal and valid for both tractor and trailer. The story is that I go back to Indiana to get my new plates and there is no more problem.

Sometimes I get to worrying about some of you. Prisoners of your own worries. Forget all that, let it go. Talk to your company, tell them before you move from there what happened to the plate. Poff, gone. Vanishes etc. If need be call the local Law make a police report of it. And proceed with what you are told by your company step for step.

Whatever happens down the road (*Provided you have it documented in your electronics in form of instructions from your company) you will be able to show to any nicky picky officer in the USA what's what. They probably will route you asap to the company yard to get a plate on there.

Also I think someone said there was no plate on rear of tractor. As long there is one on the trailer and one on the front there should be no problem. Ive always dealt with bingo stickers and plates on the front, never the rear of tractor.

7. E46m3

E46m3 Bobtail Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Like that saying goes... “take a chance, Columbus did” . I will get moving soon thanks for the advice. Will let you know if anything happens.

8. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    I just hired on at a new company....was issued a 45 day temp registration and no plate....wasnt checked once

9. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Hell, I drove a truck with no visible plate for 3 days across 2 states and was never stopped. A month later I drove a truck with no visible plate, numbers, etc. (it was a demo) across 3 states, even wrecked the darn thing, cops never said a word.

10. JC1971

JC1971 Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2013
    L.A.
    My very first trip with Schneider, I didn't notice the front plate missing off the bumper. I was pulled in at the scale in Phoenix, OR and the nice DOT officer let me roll the few miles to the Petro to get a temporary faxed from the company without even having to return to show him.

11. ncmickey

ncmickey Road Train Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Durham NC
    I got a level two inspection up in Michigan when the trooper saw my cardboard trailer tag...I think I tore off the old one in a snow back I backed into when parking at a truck stop. But he was just checking and I got a clean inspection.

When I had a new truck, it had no plate yet and I got called into a scale in Torrington WY so they could make sure to check the registration. No ticket... got the permanent plate a couple weeks later.

Report it, document it and roll. It’s more common than you think. If some inspector is gonna give you a ticket for that.... they were gonna give you a ticket for SOMETHING anyways...

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.