Can I use load boards without a trailer?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by GCast, Apr 25, 2017.

1. GCast

GCast Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2017
    I probably getting ahead of myself, because i'm only 17, don't even have a CDL yet, or experience. But I have been looking at load boards just to see how they're set up.. (as i plan on being an OO one day) This might be a totally unrealistic goal but: I've been thinking about getting experience in all kinds of trucking (reefer, flatbed, heavy haul, tanker) as a company driver, than buying a truck that can do anything, and pick up all kinds of loads. But my question is: are there loads on the boards that don't need YOU to have a trailer? I know this is probably an unrealistic goal to be able to do something different every day, as that's pretty much what every trucker wants, but the question still stands.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. forward

forward Bobtail Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Not from my experience. I have used Truckstop and DAT360. You have to pick an option for your trailer in order to look for loads. Brokers assume you have both: truck and trailer. Without trailer, you can sign up as power only driver with JB Hunt, Landstar and others though.. Hope, this helps.

4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Their are some power only companies and o/o that move new trailers.

Oldironfan and LGarrison Thank this.
  5. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    2 issues
    A truck can't do all jobs and do them all well. A heavy haul truck is too heavy and slow for reefer or van loads. It will pull a 250,000 pound load up a mountain though. A west coast reefer truck will never even move that heavy haul load. Best to hone in on one segment.
    Power only on the load boards is not easy. Even when you have a trailer it often isn't easy. The best way to do it is to find some regular customers you can serve on a somewhat regular basis.

Lastly
    At 17 just go bang as many girls as you can. Trucking ain't going nowhere. And for God's sake if you are able to - use your brains for a career before you use your body for one. Brain will out last and often out earn the body. Trucking will best the hell out of your body in several ways. Screwed up sleep schedule is one.

Oldironfan, Tanker312, Logan76 and 8 others Thank this.
  6. dca

dca Road Train Member

May 31, 2011
    Earth
    I agree with using your brain, I suggest to focus on your education and a career.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    SavageSam and Cottonmouth85 Thank this.
  7. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Go get a job on the railroad, and promote up to locomotive engineer. You'll make $100,000K a year, you just won't be home long enough to spend it.

I disagree with gokiddo on one point. My advice is keep your johnson holstered and don't let it run your life. If you knock up Peggy Sue now, you ain't NEVER getting outta that double wide.

....or mansion, or brownstone condo. Whatever.

Oldironfan, snowwy, Piecrumbs and 4 others Thank this.
  8. murat

murat Light Load Member

Jul 21, 2009
    nebraska
    I don't have a trailer and during the off season for me I use the load boards, just choose the power only option. The trailer manufacturers will have empty trailers to be moved and sometimes you get decent paying loads of equipment on a trailer for relocation to a job site.I have gotten over two dollars a loaded mile.
    There are companies that need a trailer moved and will let you keep it for several days and haul loads as long as you get it to the final destination on time,they are called load out trailers LDOT is the search option.The problem is finding a power only load for a back haul.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    Tanker312 Thanks this.
  9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    /thread

Mudguppy and gokiddogo Thank this.
  10. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    This. Anyone got a time machine? I'd love to go back with the knowledge I have now.

11. bulldawg trucker

bulldawg trucker Medium Load Member

Mar 14, 2017
    I met a owner op a few weeks ago that uses boards to find "power only" loads. Most of the time he is moving the trailer for very cheap or even free, but then uses the trailer for a given time before it has to be at the final destination. He then uses the boards to find loads specific to the trailer, which I assume most of the time is a dry van. He said most empty van trailers he has two to three weeks sometimes 4 to get it there .Now tankers and more specialized trailers he didn't say anything about and I think that would be a little harder to find.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.