Can my boss tell me to come back to work before my 10 hrs off? Looking for clarification.

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by Straz, Jul 18, 2018.

Do I call in? This is a fun poll.

Poll closed Jul 18, 2018.
  1. Heck ya! I'm past probation anyway

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. (maybe think about it) Poor choice because your new, but you are in the clear now, so ya do it!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nah, make money man! Better to call in Friday and enjoy the weekend anyway!

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Absolutely not young man!

2 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Its from the time you stopped driving not got picked up, you can try telling him you might be a little late but I bet it's not appreciated, and then you have the 8,2 split you can do too. If you aren't safe to drive after 8 hours of sleep there's a good chance you're not safe to drive after 10 either.

Straz and James122 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    You're mixing and matching regulations. 2 hours off duty is for teams where the team mate may sit up front for 2 hours at the beginning or end of their 10 hours off.

Solo drivers have been able to log off duty up front in the seats of a parked commercial vehicle since 2012.

I made a video explaining it all below-

Bank_Lbr, x1Heavy, Straz and 2 others Thank this.
  4. scottied67

scottied67 Road Train Member

Mar 14, 2010
    california norte
    Cannot do 8 hours in the Sleeper if the truck does not have a legal sleeper berth that conforms to the measurements and spec's outlined in the green book.

5. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Yeah I saw that a few posts later that he was driving daycab around.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. 06driver

06driver Road Train Member

May 28, 2017
    Yeah I had forgotten they changed that.
    Still had to be in attendance.

Guidance says minimum 8 hours after return to terminal.

Question 24: If a driver is transported by automobile from the point of a breakdown to a terminal, and then dispatched on another run, how is the time spent in the automobile entered on the record of duty status? How is the time entered if the driver goes off-duty once he reaches the terminal?

Guidance: The time spent in the automobile would be on-duty (not driving) if dispatched on another run once he/she reaches the terminal, and off-duty if he/she is given 8 consecutive hours off-duty upon reaching the terminal.

Bank_Lbr, x1Heavy and Straz Thank this.
  7. Straz

Straz Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Midwest
    Well the short of it is I pulled out of service and everything was correct that I was supposed to have 10hrs off from the time I left. I talked to a terminal manager at another location and he confirmed it with someone else, they were baffled at how my home one didn't know this. But yet I get back to my terminal and they say they are wrong sheesh talk about professional soups who have to puff their chest and raise their voice at me over this, oh and of course passed the blame on me.

This has been a great learning experience and the information was also exceptional. This is the first company I have ever ran into where I'm running myself out to the end of HOS. I also know I am at fault here as well to an extent, I wasn't really out for justice with this or justification if you will.

I knew this would end up being a lesson and learning experience for both sides.

The information was exceptional as well and I thank everyone for the help!

tucker, Sirscrapntruckalot and x1Heavy Thank this.
  8. Straz

Straz Bobtail Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Midwest
    I ended up using it on Monday, needed it to get back, however I only needed 25min of it so it's frustrating to have to use it in that capacity which is a waste.

9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    It is not a personal attack or to set you up for failure.

You seem to be learning. I'll tell you a secret. I hate the post 2003 HOS and ELD's myself. But they are there and if I went OTR again, I'll have to find a way to live with it. I already know that it will slow things down alot for me and require more days to pass to get it done.

As far as the Company Peacocks making noise and showing feathers and so on at you from a position of imagined superiority, you are probably being mistreated rather than sit down with a hard core logbook ELD Person and run through a few hours of quickie log school. Instead you are being yelled at and every other ternimal is being yelled at too for being wrong?

I don't know how to use engilish words to frame the concept that this particular ternimal has become a land of Oz. Where their own reality is imposed regardless of Law or the rest of the Company thinks of things there.

I quietly suggest GTFO.

Straz Thanks this.
  10. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    My question was did he ride into the terminal in the truck or a car? If its a cmv, then it has to be on duty as he has no sleeper bearth to take the rest of the split log. Splitting hairs on the regulations, but if the boss wants to get technical I will too.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    This is for future reference....
    I've had something close to this happen at my last job a couple times. Basically what I did was stay on-duty, but log out of the truck ELD. When I got back to the yard I went in and logged in to a random truck just enough to go off duty and log back out. That way the electronic log, which is what dispatch is looking at, will match the correct times.

Bank_Lbr, Straz and gentleroger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.