can someone clarify if forklift drivers require CDL?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by thealfa, May 24, 2011.

1. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    Pshaw... if you need to lift more than you're certified for, just get another forklift.

[​IMG]

not4hire Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REDD

REDD The Legend

Jun 29, 2009
    Dueling Banjoville
    Good deal... I've got a 48' trailer so that makes me exempt! :biggrin_25524:

4. M818

M818 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Dallas, Texas
    I drove a forklift working in an electronics salvage yard in a past life. It was just one of many little duties like stripping out racks of equipment, testing and sorting the parts, etc.

The first day on the job the guy was showing me how to run the fork lift so I could move the 400-800 lb racks around, and he was yanking the elevation and tilt lever all over the place, hitting its limits, and the thing was not responding. "oh yeah, you got to rev it up good and pull the steering wheel towards you and jam the lever up here like so and then back- then it'll raise.." So that was the training. The thing was a trap and he seemed glad to be off of it. There were several loose parts, like the operating lever collar and the linkages to the valves which were under the dash, and they'd bypassed the seat switch with a clip lead because it was broken and the brakes didn't work. I found some tools and fixed all of it but the brakes and the seat switch during lunch that day. All it took was tightening up some bolts and finding some long ones because the collar bolts had stripped out. Next day I adapted a used switch for the seat by making a little bracket. Never did fix the brakes, I didn't know how and they would not call a mechanic so it was the rule to drive slow and putt up to the pallets. The only real benefit of that job was getting all the electronics junk I wanted for scrap price by the pound. I was young and it didn't seem too bad but I wouldn't accept responsibility for operating equipment in that shape today. The sick part is, I know where that ancient Clark machine is right now 27 years later, it is in use occasionally with a new owner, and it still has no brakes.

5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    How much can you lift?

[​IMG]

6. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    Guess what?
    Didn't have his CDL.

20180204_010025.png

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    No.

HAHAHAHAHA.. sorry excuse me while i ROTF.

Someone was having fun at your expense.

8. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Th OP posted his question 7 years ago.

KillingTime and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  9. RedRover

RedRover Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2016
    Corsicana, TX
    Having an electric pallet jack and forklift cert in Texas made me a few bucks and saved me several hours that I didn’t have to wait for lumpers to overcharge for.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive used both, particularly power jacks and forklifts without any certs needed back then. Ive gotten very good riding the old corner plate jacks before those were banned and rengineered to prevent riding and so so on the lift. The old Yale Propane kind.

It is way better to be in a freight type where you don't need to be on the dock to load and unload. Eliminating the lost time and lumper payouts which you might not get it back at payroll is the ticket to prosperity.

11. KillingTime

KillingTime Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2016
    Rockland, Maine
    I blame the Canuck. Lol.
    (@not4hire)

not4hire Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.