Can someone recommend a good Dash Cam

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by ichudov, Jan 29, 2017.

1. ichudov

ichudov Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2012
    Berkeley, IL
    I am looking to buy a dash cam to use in my semi truck.

I owned a couple of them before and those were junk, not working reliably, failing to record videos, or outright stopping to work.

When I look on amazon, it is clear between the fake reviews and "first day" reviews, that most of those dash cams are no good and are not made to last.

My question is, has anyone had any luck owning a dash cam for a long time that was reliably recording and overall well made?

Thanks

Road Killer Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Friday

Friday Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Charlottesville, Va
    I use that cobra one that Costco has. It's like $40 now. It works but it's annoying since I have to wipe it every day.

If I was gonna drop some more money on it, I'd get a GoPro 4 and use that 5 min loop option on it.

Road Killer and TallJoe Thank this.
  4. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Are the equipped to be mounted to the windshield?

Road Killer Thanks this.
  5. Samuel Coyne

Samuel Coyne Light Load Member

Jan 9, 2016
    Gladstone/Escanaba, MI
    I have the Rand McNally 730 one (I think that's the number). I think it works pretty good! It has a suction cup mount and a very long power cord so you can hide it well. I can take a pic of it in my truck if you're interested! It also has a screen on it that shows you exactly what the camera is taking a video of. It's pretty slick.

Road Killer and TallJoe Thank this.
  6. LoJackDatHo

LoJackDatHo Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2017
    Falcon Zero F170 HD+. $100-$140 depending on where you buy. I did amazon. Love mine. Had a year almost now. Video great. Audio great. Got me out of a ticket and accident claim when car cut me off and hit front bumper of my truck. Showed cop on the spot. He told the driver of the 4 wheeler that it was my lane and he made an unsafe lane change. I will never be without one again.

7. turtle1969

turtle1969 Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2015
    according to some tech sites the novatec 96650g1w has some pretty good reviews and its only 50$ or less i cant say myself cause i dont currently use one but they are reccomennded by insurance agents that i know just as a preventative measure against four wheelers cutting you off

Road Killer and TequilaSunrise Thank this.
  8. scythe08

scythe08 Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Portland, Or
    I dont recommend the garmin 10. I'm on my third in 2 years and this one is getting squirrels. I'll be looking for a new brand to go with.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  9. LoJackDatHo

Jan 26, 2017
    Make sure you get one with audio as well. That way if a cop gets an attitude with you, you've got it as well. I noticed when they know they are being recorded their attitude is considerably better. The Falcon Zero is also 1080P HIGH DEF. it also comes standard with a large SD card.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  10. LoJackDatHo

Jan 26, 2017
    It comes with a 64 GB SD card. Most only come with 8 GB.

Road Killer Thanks this.
  11. TequilaSunrise

TequilaSunrise Medium Load Member

Feb 3, 2016
    Seattle, WA
    This is what they have at Love's near me and I would Love to use my points. Are any of these good? image.jpeg

Road Killer Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.