Can truckers use the left lane ever when there are 3 lanes or more?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Nascar_Bobby, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Oilfieldmike

Oilfieldmike Medium Load Member

Aug 22, 2012
    holiday, florida
    Incomplete list for trucks. That list is for cars

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    In Michigan despite what others think, if it is a three or more lanes, trucks can't be in the left lane for any reason except to exit, and that has to be within a mile or two, not five.

On a two lane the law is setup so trucks can't sit in the left lane without passing another and then have to move over to the right lane. And they can not impede traffic. So if you are edging up on a truck but can't pass within a mile or so, slow down and don't pass.

I drive us23 and m14 daily with a return trip on i96 and there is always a truck which whips out and sits in a left lane trying to pass another with 2 mph difference, sometimes this will go on for 5 or 6 miles, on a road that the average speed is 83 mph.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  4. malinorn

malinorn Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2010
    NC
    It's crazy in North Carolina and it's 4 lanes, yet trucks are only allowed in the right 2 lanes. You get slow trucks cruising in the #2 lane to avoid merging traffic, I get that, but open one more lane for trucks that need to pass. At least Georgia has that.

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  5. Alaska76

Alaska76 Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Inland Empire, WA
    If you have more complete information, please share it with us.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.