Canada - 53' Doubles

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Criminey Jade, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I hope they are paid well.

I personally dont think I could justify pulling 2 times the trouble that I could make just hauling legal loads.

I'm sure they are compensated well,.. or well enough. I know some guys do things for the pride of it.

Hurst

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. david123abc

david123abc Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    I swear in SK I saw a truck pulling 2 fuel tanks and a reefer.

4. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    They allow those in Canada but won't allow my little truck pulling a 48' flat. Just because of my tractor wheelbase. My total lenght is only 81' yet their total lenght has to well over 100'. Probably close to 120'

5. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
  6. JPenn

JPenn Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Northern Tier PA
    Long doubles aren't that bad at all. A lot of times they're more cost effective transporting low weight high volume freight (potato chips, paper products, LTL package shuttles between hubs, that sort of thing). And, 53' doubles are likely not that far of a difference from 48' doubles to make much of a difference.

It is worse when some mega carrier gets into a turtle race with a LCV though... nearly twice the truck length to pass! :-/

7. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Couple of companies in Colo. run twin 48' along I-25 and I-76.

8. 12 ga

12 ga THE VIEW FROM MY OFFICE

Oct 21, 2013
    Central Michigan
    If a company has one driver pulling two trailers he should be getting twice as much pay as a driver pulling only one trailer or else he is cutting his own throat by eliminating some ones job. I bet there are no drivers getting double pay for double trailers. But then that is just my radical side coming through.

okiedokie Thanks this.
  9. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

The Canadian drivers I talked with in Ontario and Quebec are getting only a slight increase in $ ( nothing near double ) for pulling double 53's compared to them pulling single 53' trailers

10. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Lol.....back in the day doubles did pay more...not substantially but depending on what region of the country...therefore Which Master Frt...it paid 1-3cents for a set of pups.....
    Now I pulled double 45' for Big R....nightly Orl-Mia turn paid an Xtra nickle:)....Best part was I never had to do Anything....just left yard in Orlando w/1 wagon drove down to compund at Tpke....(there was actually a compund switcher bid)....park...switcher hooked set...drove to the old Golden Glades compund....Get out....Get coffee...set was broke....re hooked to my NB&go....talk about Spoiled&people wonder why all the old frt companies out of biz.m.m....

11. magoo68

magoo68 Road Train Member

Jun 11, 2011
    st malo mb canada
    They pull 3 53' between regina and Saskatoon sk but need a drop yard outside of the city you can only pull 2 through the city

Toomanybikes Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.