Canada Dedicated Ikea

Discussion in 'Knight' started by docbirkman, Sep 2, 2012.

1. docbirkman

docbirkman Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Oregon
    Possibly going to do Ikea dedicated for Knight- Canada run, terminal out of Fairview Oregon. Anyone got any insight if a good gig. Any info helpful. Week on week off so I can do my other job that I am not leaving cause i did 48 for awhile, 11 Western too but im done full time driving but love it enough to drive a little.

Eugene Oregon, orientation scheduled for Knight September 18th for dedicated Canada Ikea. Worked for Schneider 20 some years ago 48 but left truck driving for awhile. Had to raise the kids but kept my CDL current for 20 years..

Went to work for the Postal Service as a mail carrier and became a Pedorthist. I have been a Shoemaker since I was a kid. Got married again and had twins but the second wife passed away at 35 years old, heart attack.

Anyhow, Spent the last year working for May a week on, week off doin the 11 Western after 6 months of 48. No real complaints, I felt they treated me well for the most part. I was happy to have a good DM/terminal out of Pensacola.

Anyone got any advice for Dedicated Ikea Canada? Any info helpful?

Just curious if anyone has had any experience with Knight Canada runs for Ikea. Any information helpful. Oregon/ Washington to Canada...thanks

Just curious if anyone has any info whatsoever on knight Canada runs to Ikea (dedicated). Any info whatsoever helpful. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 2, 2012
    Hellraiser78 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hellraiser78

Hellraiser78 Light Load Member

Jul 30, 2012
    PA
    This sounds good. I will be following this for the info. Thanks.

4. docbirkman

Sep 2, 2012
    Oregon
    Your welcome and thanks for your response. I havent been able to find out much, nothing much on the Internet, friends, nothin. So chances are it must be good for what I am looking for. guess I will find out cause I am scheduled for Orientation for it. If I find out anything from anywhere else I will be sure to post

5. Hellraiser78

Hellraiser78 Light Load Member

Jul 30, 2012
    PA
    that sounds great. Goodluck....

6. OverDrive

OverDrive "A Watchman on the Walls"

I'm guessing being out of Fairview, that there is an Ikea DC most likely in the Seattle area (since most products come from China and delivered at US ports) and would be crossing freight over to Vancouver/BC and back. I've dropped & p/u freight that was/had crossed at Bellingham on the US side.

I only crossed into Canada once during 2 yrs of 48 driving (at New Brunswick) and 2 border guys went thru my cab pretty good looking for weapons, drugs, and inspecting prescription pills as well (opened and were familiar with the std prescrip dugs as well as had to have name & doc's info on)...took about 15 mins.

Dont think that the job would be any more than crossing back & forth over a couple of hundred miles---but may be ideal for what you want as more of a part time job(?)

docbirkman Thanks this.
  7. docbirkman

Sep 2, 2012
    Oregon
    Yeah I am kinda wondering if its worth it. I have the option of 11 western again, Less stops at shippers and receivers. I can see with that Canada run I will be going back and fourth all day, probably multiple times to the same place sucking up my time, low miles, with 15-30 min waits at the border (kind of makes for an even longer day)' Im kinda thinking their 11 western program sounds better. Thanks for the info

8. OverDrive

I ran western regional 'Express' for Knight for 5 yrs out of Phx, usually was out 5-7 days (10 tops) and home for 3 days. That way, swapping out trucks, I wasnt sitting on one that another driver could use. Also being out of Phx, (their biggest terminal) there were usually enuf available vacant trucks to hop in and get going!

But dont think a smaller term like Fairview could offer you that (?)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  9. RizenPhoenix

RizenPhoenix Road Train Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Here's what I can tell you because I used to run a lot of the Canada loads out of Lebec, CA and drop them in Fairview or Tukwila for the Canada drivers. ,

First your loads will come out of either Lebec, ca or Spanaway, WA. They will always be heavy you'll gross between 78k and 80k pretty much all the time. The lebec loads will be brought up to NW by an OTR driver and dropped on a yard for you. After you deliver to one of the IKEA's in Canada you will get a backhaul in Canada to pick up coming back to the States. Sometimes you'll luck out and get a pallet return load from the store you deliver at. Most of the loads I saw that came back from Canada where water loads. As far as talking to the drivers that where doing the Canada runs they seemed pretty happy.

docbirkman Thanks this.
  10. docbirkman

Sep 2, 2012
    Oregon
    Thanks Rizen, that is very helpful. I am on the fence about it but I may just go ahead and try it and if I dont like it ,do their 11. I will point that out to them at Orientation cause I will be on 11 until my passport clears.
    Thanks again.. Actually looking forward to this for the extra experience..

11. OverDrive

NOTE:

The Ikea Lebec is a very big DC and located 'over the hill' from the LA ports. Must be a combo of cheap land (Wheeler Ridge) and centralized location. Didnt know it serviced such a big area---looks like most of the mtn west. I think that I heard of another DC being put in the Chicago area (?) b4 I left..most likely stocked by modal freight trains coming from the W. coast.

But the Lebec DC also collects loads coming from Mex (Otay Mesa runs) and may be used to distribute those up to the NW besides those 'landing' in WA (to Spanaway?) from China.....

Last edited: Sep 4, 2012
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.