Canadian Elog Question

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by AModelCat, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Can't imagine when new trucks come with factory installed ELOG, will be just as big a POS as the rest of the freightliner or buggy of choice

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nothereoften

Nothereoften Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2018
    We are required to carry a paper log in case of elog failure as well

4. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    So when I have to scratch out my previous 14 days on paper, what needs to be on it? They seriously can't expect a guy to remember milages and locations/times for the last 2 weeks, can they?

5. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
  6. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Since we sometimes get a truck with non working ELD, I keep paper, too, unsigned, just in case, it was painful pulling up a couple days when I didn't get it done.

Just for the record, the totals come out very close to the same either on paper or machine, even though the machine seems to be to the second in counting, to the minute marked down.

7. gokiddogo

gokiddogo Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Ontario Canada
    I have a Canadian elog question. This happened to me today.
    I started my day 600 miles from delivery, arrived using about 10.5 hours driving and 11 total, no 8 hour break required I made the border at hour 7. Receiver kept me there until hour 17, about 6 hours into a sleeper break. I am not allowed to stay on property, there is no street parking, and there is no room for my dropped trailer. Once empty I must leave. The truck stop is about 15 minute drive away.

How do I solve this going forward?

Today I unplugged my elog and will edit in my drive time later. I know this isn't right. I know the way it happened isn't right either. Generally I can count on this receiver taking either 1 hour or 8-10 depending on which crew is working.
    @not4hire ?

8. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    Switch to flatbed.

:D

Okay, lemme understand; you were in the US, came back to Canada, spent 6 hours at the receiver?

If that's correct, you should be able to do a split-break. You should have 2.5 hours driving and 3 of your 14 remaining to get to the truck stop. Take a 4 hour sleeper to stay in split-break mode, or take 8 sleeper/off-duty to restore your 13/14/16. Doesn't your elog calculate all that out for you?

- Splitting of Daily Off-duty Time — Single Driver

If it's the reverse and you were crossing from Canada into the US you can use personal conveyance (recently revised, see posts in the regulations forum) to get to the truck stop.

Or am I missing something?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    gokiddogo Thanks this.
  9. HELLBENTDENT

HELLBENTDENT Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Edmonton Alberta
    use OFF DUTY - PERSONAL CONVEYANCE ....
    Allowed to log up to 75km in Canada
    don't know US rule for logging
    personal conveyance

10. not4hire

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    No, you cannot use personal conveyance with a trailer, or to re-position in Canada.

11. HELLBENTDENT

HELLBENTDENT Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2018
    Edmonton Alberta
    correct...thought he was bobtail
    I would have asked how long is it going to take to load the trailer.
    Anything over 2 hrs I'm dropping it and coming back in 8hrs - especially if they cant provide safe parking
    If the dock wants to take their time then the shunter can find a spot in the yard or leave it in a door when their done.
    not much choice on an E- log anymore...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.