Canadian Owner operator advice

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by mmhasan1, Jan 22, 2021.

1. mmhasan1

mmhasan1 Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2020
    wow thats really nice, isnt independant conractor the same as ABL? I emailed Ihaul about becoming a third party carrier, lets see what they say.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Its between Leased On and ABL, ABL is Asset Based Logistics, so "As Needed Contractor" no commitment to the company or by the company. IC Independent Contractor is dedicated to one company, but still operates like an ABL. Leased On is basically like being a company driver, with your own truck.

4. mmhasan1

mmhasan1 Bobtail Member

Nov 23, 2020
    I see, if you don’t mind me asking, how are the rates going out of Alberta with Ihaul? Right now out of Alberta I can’t seem to get more then $1.4 per mile

5. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    So, what is ABL and IHAUL? I'm in NS and signed on with CAT now, they bought SLH when Sears crapped the bed. I would like to stay Ns to Toronto, 1 trip a week. I'm close to retirement, truck is paid for, im trying to slow down.

6. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Asset Based Logistics, so your own numbers, insurance, etc etc their fuel discount and trailer. They unfortunately don't operate much in the Maritimes (That I know of) but lots going on in ON/QC. Most of our stuff is to the US and back.

7. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    IC's and O/O's are $1.80/mile + Accessorial Charges, ABLs are in the $2.20-$2.45 range I've been told, but I have not seen the ABL pay schedule, as I'm an IC. Those are Can/US rates, no idea on Can/Can rates as I don't do that.

8. mudflap77

mudflap77 Heavy Load Member

Oct 11, 2010
    South western Ontario
    @BigHossCummins is ABL mostly pulling the companies trailer? Or will the work with someone pulling their own trailer?

9. BigHossVolvo

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Not 100% sure, all the ABL's i've seen, are pulling company trailers. However I did hear about a couple guys with their own trailers, loading for us at Versacold. So not sure if that was a one time thing, or if they will work with guys using their own trailer. I can tell you that the IHaul model is 95% pre-loads, so having your own trailer wouldn't be that great here. Also they are no longer offering the IC contract, so its full ABL or leased on now. I guess to many guys were taking advantage of the flexibility (IE taking 2 months off).

10. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Nastc will give you a card.... if your credit sucks they make you have the money prepaid....

And everyone gets the same discount it’s about the group buying power. But I don’t know about the Canadian discount or fuel stops......but you could use them when in the states

11. Phantom Trucker

Phantom Trucker Medium Load Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Calgary, AB
    Avoid Trivee? How’d they make the **** list?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.