Cant do it anymore

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by ZhenyaP1991, Sep 26, 2016.

1. trkrjim

trkrjim Light Load Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Iowa City, IA
    I'm glad younger people won't put up with the crap that this job is. It's the only thing that's going to change it for the better. And don't anybody start with how great it used to be in the "good old days". I was here then and it sucked just as much if not more.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Lots of work in Flordia year round in my industry. Are you sure you want to do this? It worst than drugs, money that is. It's natural gas pipelines. Unions, inspectors,protesters the whole deal. Want more info pm me. Im off to work.

4. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Doing what if I might ask?

I'm genuinely curious in other avenues of employment myself that don't have anything to do with driving for a living. I ended up driving yellow cab in NY for 9 months when I got truly fed up with the trucks for the first time and wanted out. Some nights were pretty fun but it just didn't pay the bills and got me into a heap of tax trouble (I paid it off). It was also a ticket trap and a license killer driving around in that stupid yellow car all night. I had to go crawling back to my class A job in Jersey. As awful as it is some days it actually pays a living wage so I had no choice but wasn't too happy about it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    okiedokie and diesel drinker Thank this.
  5. CryoGuy

CryoGuy Bobtail Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Hobart, IN
    The beauty of trucking is what you make it. There are so many different avenues to go in that you can always find your niche. I started out running containers back when it made money, and once the family rolled around, I found a job running oil tankers where I was home every night and played Daddy while the girls were growing up. Now that they are both in college, I had the ability to go look for a different job that provides a little bit more cash, and Hauling cryogenic tankers is where I found my niche. Is the trucking job I have perfect ? No, but it allows me to do what I love, and provides me a more than substantial income as an incentive. I plan on doing this until I'm 65, and after that it's retirement time.

okiedokie and Big Don Thank this.
  6. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    This is what I worry about!That it's the same crap ,you only have further to work and you deal with much more city driving instead of cruising open highways.Oh and daycabs (drove one for 24 h and it was brand spanking new) are much less comfortable IMO.

Rusty Trawler Thanks this.
  7. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Shaker day cabs is like torture

Rusty Trawler Thanks this.
  8. diesel drinker

diesel drinker Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2015
    It was actually Prostar with 1000 miles on odo and foil on seats but I rember that I felt in my back every bump on the road.I guess that's because daycabs are shorter?

9. TROOPER to TRUCKER

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I was told a lot of is because I was use to a sleeper.

10. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    That's what I'm in a 14 Prostar. I can't get comfortable enough to take a nap. Working 10-14 hour days and only driving between 150-250 miles a day sucks having to sit upright in a drivers seat all day.

diesel drinker Thanks this.
  11. TROOPER to TRUCKER

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I had a day cab line haul job at Averitt 3rd shift and after 2 weeks I went back to regional because at 6'5" 235 that was not happening. But I must endure a huge paycheck to work in Chicago I did my best to avoid that place.

HalpinUout and diesel drinker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.