Can't sleep while truck is moving

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Davidbenjamin, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Davidbenjamin

Davidbenjamin Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Hello everyone, I recently started training with a mentor. I told him I can't sleep in the sleeper berth while he is driving. I tend to get bounced around back there while he is driving, but he is not willing to park for a few hours so I can sleep. Should I try to request a different mentor? All suggestions are appreciated. Thank you

farmerjohn64 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Is this your first team job? It's probably you not the trainer. Welcome to trucking.

4. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    That is the nature of the beast.
    It takes some time to get used to it.

5. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    It will be much easier the second night. If not try Advil PM the third night.

6. Davidbenjamin

Davidbenjamin Bobtail Member

Apr 2, 2020
    Yes it is. Just got my cdl a few weeks ago

farmerjohn64, okiedokie and akfisher Thank this.
  7. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    You will learn to sleep, and probably get some of your best sleep soon. Grab some zquilnor something similar and take it as soon as you should be in the bunk. It's a crutch and not something to rely on, but should get you over the hump.

farmerjohn64 and Davidbenjamin Thank this.
  8. Gdog66223

Gdog66223 Road Train Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Coal Town
    Get some NyQuil

Davidbenjamin Thanks this.
  9. RunningAces

RunningAces Road Train Member

Jul 2, 2017
    No trainer is going to park for a few hours so you can sleep. They have you on that truck to make money and if you're very lucky you might get one that actually gives a #### about teaching you how to do things right. Stay off your phone and do your best to get used to sleeping while the truck is moving. If you start nodding off, you better get that rig pulled over and try to work something out with your trainer because driving in that condition is akin to driving drunk.

10. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    It's hard to sleep in a moving truck starting out. Especially if the "trainer" doesn't drive like someone is sleeping in the back. They jerk the wheel around and hit the brakes like a rookie, oblivious to you.

Try to say away from coffee or energy drinks mid to late in your shift so you can actually sleep when the time comes. Earplugs might help.

farmerjohn64 and Davidbenjamin Thank this.
  11. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    You'll survive. We all did. It is only about Six weeks of your life. When you get tired enough.... you'll sleep. Keep your eye on the prize.......

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.