Can't sleep while truck is moving

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Davidbenjamin, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

2. loudtom

loudtom Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2016
    Are you getting bounced around because of bad roads or equipment, or is your mentor constantly braking or taking curves too fast?

Try to explain to your trainer that if you can't sleep while they're driving, then you might get too tired and have to stop the truck during your shift anyway. Try to come to a compromise or plan where you stop the truck for 4 hours a day or whatever, and then over time decrease the amount of time you are parked until you no longer need to. If that time never comes, then you're not cut out for team driving with that person.

The important thing to remember is that you don't drive fatigued. When your partner is done for the day and you take over, you are the boss. If you decide to stop the truck and get a nap, it's your choice. This is also a good reason to not share your driver info for your logs. If they want to get up and drive while you nap, they will not be able to use your drive time.

You also should try to talk with your driver manager before it comes to that point. Explain that you want to try and make it work, and you're not just being selfish. Maybe they'll have a better solution. If nobody wants to work with you, then be ready to find a new job or mentor. Or you can roll the dice and hope you don't get in an accident, because "that's trucking" or "suck it up, Buttercup".

3. akfisher

akfisher Road Train Member

Apr 23, 2015
    You’ll get over it eventually. I lack trust in other drivers and everytime my trainer hit a bump I was afraid I was gonna die lmao eventually youll get your best sleep of your life in the truck while driving solo

Davidbenjamin and D.Tibbitt Thank this.
  4. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    The cool thing is you are getting paid to sleep.

5. TravR1

TravR1 Road Train Member

Nov 9, 2017
    TX
    It took me about 3 months to get used to it. Now my partner can roll the truck and I might sleep through it.

Partner parks, its my turn to drive, hes back there shaking me and yelling my name... Nothing. Lol

6. Kshaw0960

Kshaw0960 Road Train Member

Jun 17, 2018
    I would take ibuprofen(Advil)PM. Pretty soon you’re going to miss it. I loved sleeping in a moving truck.

JolliRoger Thanks this.
  7. otterinthewater

otterinthewater Road Train Member

May 10, 2018
    Santa Barbara, Ca
    I’m thinking you’ve been roofied.

LOL

8. pavrom

pavrom Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2012
    NE illinois
    Earplugs might help ...lol ...during your sleeper bounce :))))

9. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Get tired enough and you wont care if it is stationary or moving

10. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well if you are supposed to be trained, how is that happening when he is sleeping while youre driving.

The best sleep I get is when I am traveling.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.