Carbon black hauling?

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by ErieMcDreary, Sep 16, 2018.

1. ErieMcDreary

ErieMcDreary Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    We are going to be doing some carbon black hauling, anything specific I should know?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Yeah. It's heavy.

I've hauled it a few times.
    Came loaded in fabric "totes" filled on a pallet.

One of our drivers turned a load of it over at a company I worked at previously while flying through the TN part of the gorge on 40e.

You talk about a mess.

But, other than that, it's just heavy, and loaded about waist high.
    A strap on the back pallets is all the securement you'll likely need unless you want to put some anti-skid sheets on the floor under the single rows.

No biggie.

4. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    DO NOT, I MEAN DO NOT, let that crap spill, it gets everywhere, on everything, and takes for ever to get cleaned off. We used to haul it out of Ulysses, Ks. years ago, all railroads banned it from their privately owned containers because it's so hard to clean up if it spills or leaks. Oh, and if you have a white truck, and the stuff is in the air, you'll have a spotted truck afterwards.

5. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Please tell me you're not hauling carbon black in a pneumatic tanker. We hauled one load of that. We'll never haul another.
    That stuff is just plain NASTY. The tiniest leak in the plumbing will put a cloud of that stuff in the air and all over the driver.
    If you're hauling something...anything, really...after the load of carbon black make sure that carbon black residue won't contaminate the product. You'll think you've cleaned your trailer after the carbon black but that stuff keeps showing up.
    If you have your trailer washed out at a commercial tank wash, keep the certification.

Suspect Zero and jammer910Z Thank this.
  6. ErieMcDreary

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    It will be in a liquid tank, similar to an asphalt tank.
    Thanks for the info so far.

7. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Neighbor in the industrial park where I work is closing now but the made news print ink. Carbon black came in dedicated hopper railcars that belonged to the producing company by the AAR reporting marks. the would belly drop into a pit with an enclosed chain conveyor that fed two storage tanks that would also feed back into the pit to use the sane conveyor for production...all enclosed with a dust control system. they manually moved the railcars between the three hoppers to unload them.

The also got two liquids by rail, one I guess a soy based oil plus tankwagons of various liquids including an asphalt trailer...

Stuff sounds a bad as Titanium Dioxide [TiO2] white pigment. a cup full of the slurry would require running a hose for an hour before the white dissipated...

8. ErieMcDreary

Dec 4, 2016
    Erie PA
    It's a dedicated run, AFAIK. So should be same trailer, loaded out and empty back. I don't know the details about loading/unloading.

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Okay. I don't know anything about hauling it as a liquid. Sounds like miserable stuff, though.

10. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    You guys have gittgo it all wrong. It whitens teeth.

Google Express

11. FLHT

FLHT Heavy Load Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Nasty stuff !!!
    I would find something else !!
    Its all of the above and more !!
    But if you must I would suggest a goggles, Tyvex suit and a roll of duct tape and rubber gloves. Also a trash bag to seal it up in after loading/ unloading.
    Once you load it the stuff will never go away no matter what you do.
    I only loaded it twice 50lb sacks going to a manufacture of paint When you open the doors on the other end everything in the trailer ( LTL) was covered with a black dust. The carrier refused to haul it anymore.

REO6205 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.