Carpal Tunnel Butt!?!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by downplay, Jun 3, 2023.

1. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Could it be spinal stenosis?

downplay Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    I have had several episodes requiring surgery and I used a neurosurgeon but orthopedic surgeons and neurosurgeons overlap on the issue.

A large percentage of sciatica patients have problems in their leg which could be anywhere upper or lower and sometimes no butt or back pain. The pain doesn’t have to be all the way from the butt down the leg. Back pain is not necessarily indicative.

If it’s caused by a ruptured or bulging disc either a neurosurgeon or orthopedic surgeon can be equally competent as they overlap in this area. My first surgery was calf only pain, the second was like a piece of hot steel wool in my buttock, and then it was across my thigh toward my groin.

ducnut and downplay Thank this.
  4. downplay

downplay Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2021
    I’ll have to read some more; but, with just a cursory look, sciatica looks like a better fit if, like others have suggested, most of the symptoms can manifest in the leg. Maybe that is possible with stenosis too. It does give me another idea to research and/or discuss with the doctors.

ducnut Thanks this.
  5. Gridaxe5588

Gridaxe5588 Light Load Member

Nov 23, 2022
    I can tell you this and maybe it'll help when mine is acting up bad it feels like someone has my right calf in a vise and my right butt cheek has a similar pain just not as extreme as my calf.

6. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    Look at it this way. Sciatica actually refers to the pain of the sciatic nerve. Anything that impinges the sciatic nerve can cause the pain. Stenosis, a narrowing of nerve passages, a ruptured or bulging disk, improper posture etc. can cause sciatica.

7. downplay

Sep 6, 2021
    Do you mean sciatica? That sounds much like mine, except mine is calf and thigh, with maybe a very mild twinge in the butt cheek at times.

It is surprising to me how mild it can feel when I walk around a bit, almost no discomfort at all.

8. Gridaxe5588

Nov 23, 2022
    Yes sciatica

ducnut Thanks this.
  9. The Green Mountain

The Green Mountain Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2022
    Maine
    Agreed.

I pinched mine in October picking up my chock.
    Made it about 70 miles before the pain in my hamstring became unbearable and I had to stop because I was going to either puke or pass-out.

Hasn't really bothered me since with the exception that I've got 3 toes that are persistently numb.

Fwiw, I'm 5'10, 200lbs - it can happen to anybody.

ducnut Thanks this.
  10. downplay

Sep 6, 2021
    Does your sciatica hurt when you sneeze, blow your nose, or laugh?

Have you found any helpful therapies or treatments?

11. Gridaxe5588

Nov 23, 2022
    When it's bad it hurts to do pretty much anything, it can be heck just getting out of bed have to walk around for a while to get relief. A chiropractor is what helped me because you have something out of alignment that's putting pressure on the sciatic nerve and sitting for long periods only makes it worse.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.