Carrier bearing problems

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by dogcatcher, Apr 12, 2013.

1. dogcatcher

dogcatcher Heavy Load Member

Apr 30, 2010
    tn
    Ok Ive gone through 3 carrier bearings in a year and dont know what is causing it and dont have any awnsers. The U joints are new and have all been changed, the drive line is phased and timed, the motor mounts have been changed, the drive shaft pitch has been checked? Im lost any help or ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I hope you are getting warranty then at least! Any pictures?

4. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Has the driveline been balanced and they definately don't make the parts as reliable anymore also I would say check the play on you're power dovider as well as you're slider on you're driveline. Not only up and down play but also the in and out play of you're power divider besides that I can't possibly think of anything else

5. eeb

eeb Heavy Load Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Is the carrier bearing mount located properly, front to back? I've seen a couple trucks with the bracket mounted to far forward, stressing the bearing laterally and causing premature failure.

6. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    Not trying to be a smart *$$ but some have a front and back, Took my buddy 3 carrier bearings to figure it out on his FLD, only about 1/8" difference from turning it around but was enough to stop chewing them up. Also don't be afraid of the grease gun on the new one, no such thing as too much grease, might get messy but will not hurt it

tommymonza Thanks this.
  7. SL3406

SL3406 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Could you post a pic of the grease fitting on your carrier bearing? I've had trouble locating it on everyone I've ever had.

8. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    I never noticed a grease fitting on any truck that I worked on.

I'll bet the carrier bearing is being installed wrong.....somehow.

9. eeb

eeb Heavy Load Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Some carrier bearings don't require side shields, if the new one doesn't come with them, remove and don't reinstall the old ones. Seen that before, it'll cause failure.

10. SL3406

SL3406 Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I was being sarcastic. They aren't greasable, but thanks.

11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Phasing?

Timing?

I guess these are new terms for driveline engineering?

I understand these are interchangeable with alignment - both of the driveline and of the expandable joints on the drivershaft.

First thing that comes to mind is the driveshafts are out of balance which looking at what phasing and timing has nothing to do with balancing the actual driveshaft. They do go out of balance for different reasons, one is new joints. The other thing that I have seen is a bent driveshaft when a joint was installed - don't ask me how it was done but it happened. If the shafts are whipping around, they will wear out the bearing quickly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.